10 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

The local dealer (relatively local) has a special on RRA Lowers. I already have an AR coming loaded with the bull barrel for distance which I will top with some nice optics (plan to use it on 'lopes if archery doesn't connect), but decided I'd like to build a .458 SOCOM. What can i say, they just look cool and fit within Indiana's game laws for deer and "pistol cartridges".

First of all, anyone every build an AR?

Anyone ever shoot a .458 SOCOM - i'm thinking the 16" carbine.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

I can't say as I have but good luck on your venture. We cannot hunt with a semiauto rifle in PA so I have little reason to look into it. Besides after about 30 years military experience with the M-16 I had my fill.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:25 AM

Indiana recently opened "pistol cartridge rifles" for deer season and the .458 - believe it or not - falls into that category. No rifles of any kind are allowed here at NSWC Crane, but on private property and state property I'd be good to go.

Paul, no semi-autos in PA?! No Ruger 10-22 for squirrel? No Remington 1100 for waterfoul or rabbits? That stinks! I use my Remington 1100 for deer too - have a fully rifled barrel with cantlever scope - deadly accurate to 100 yards. Casey killed three deer with that gun last year.

Our Attorney General promises to reclass pumps as semi-auto in the new AWB, so I guess our Remington 870 & Mossberg 500 will join the "evil black gun" collection. Good thing we enjoy archery, bought any ammo lately? A man could go broke pretty easy.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:58 AM

In PA semi-auto shotguns are legal for using shotshells in hunting waterfowl, turkeys,small game.
Semi-autoloaders of any kind aren't legal for hunting when using single projectile ammo....(or buckshot which I believe is legal in areas near Philly...but I might be wrong on this)

Edited by Phil, 26 May 2009 - 04:59 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

Bummer.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

As Phil said and I inferred in my post no semi auto rifles are permitted in PA for hunting. Yes we can use a semi auto shotgun for small game but no semi auto rifles or handguns.

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

I managed to pick up a complete lower at a shop in Camby for $320 - a pretty good buy for a complete RRA lower.

Then, moved on to the Indy 1500 show last Friday and found a RRA .458 upper complete for $700 and bought it. So, minus taxes, I completed my quest for $1,020 and dug myself a sizable hole with the misses. She approved the lower, but did not know about the upper until after.

If you try to order one from RRA they'll tell you at least six months and it will be more than I paid; they're website has not been updated with the latest prices.

So, I'm all set to try my new rig on the local deer population come fall. There are several does on my property that need to take up space in my freezer - I will do my best to oblige.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

Now that is cool. Good luck with your toy. I tried to find that caliber in my reloading manuals but none of them have it.

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

Relatively new stuff - I learned the hard way. I bought a $50 box of .458 only to get it home and find out it was a magnum rifle cartridge for dangerous game and WAY too long. Should have looked at one. Lesson learned.

RRA is the only one making the .458 SOCOM right now i think, I believe hornady makes a .458 SOCOM - Midway sells them.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

I even have Hornady's newest reloading manual but it was not there either. Man you must have picked up the 458 Mag shells. You should be able to take them back.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 03 June 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#11 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

I even have Hornady's newest reloading manual but it was not there either. Man you must have picked up the 458 Mag shells. You should be able to take them back.

Weeeeeellll...that's the problem with buying ammo at a show - no clue who that guy was or where he is now.

I can probably sell them on gunbroker.com. I'll probably try to trade them away at the local shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users