Thank Goodness!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

Thank goodness it's over! :P

Time to put this turkey season behind me...
Cast into a sea of forgetfulness ne'er to be recalled to mind. :lol:

I did at least see a turkey this morning. It was coming straight for the blind, but its head wasn't red and it did a 180 and booked the other way about as fast as it appeared. We were baffled. Then, when walking out, we saw a pile of feathers in the middle of the lane. Following them into the woods revealed a bunch more (wing feathers, tail feathers, you name it). Looks like a 'yote might have picked off our last day prey. :doh2:

Pretty fitting end to the way this season went though. |(*,)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

I was out every Saturday but one. Maybe now I can get some sleep. It was fun but like you no bird. I did get to spend some beautiful mornings in the turkey woods. Just a reminder Jer we still have Memorial Day but I plan on attending a local service in the morning an annual thing for me.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, I know. But, Monday is out for me too.

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

My season has also about plumb wore me out. Mine started the middle of April After a trip to Kansas. This was followed by a 5 hour jaunt from Kansas to MO and three days of turkey hunting there along with a couple of activities at Spirithawks house then another two day drive to PA and I have been hunting 3 and 4 days a week till now. My body is in full protest at getting up at 4:00am and going till noon and working around the house in the afternoon. I may be worn down but not worn out so plan on getting out one more day. Jere, my PA season has run much along the lines of yours lots of fun and excitement but only 1 turkey to show for it and it was a Jake.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

I wasn't sure if I'd go out after today but my friend Fred has been completely overwhelmed at work and Monday is his first & last chance to turkey hunt this spring. I called a big gobbler in for him last spring and he'd like for us to try again so I'll will the old legs up the mountain one more morning.....then its DRYWALL SEASON....ouuu, I can't wait! :cry:
Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

I actually would suspect a bobcat more than a yote. Very interesting hunt!
Posted Image

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

Truthfully, where I was it wouldn't surprise me if it was a feral cat! :angry:

I know they're around, but I've never seen a bobcat in all my years hunting PA. Coyote are all over the place though. I've had both them and red fox try to attack my turkey decoys. :doh2:

sig_admin.png

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:23 AM

We have alot of bobcats in our area. I've had one come in while calling for turkeys and have seen about 1/2 dozen over the years while afield.....but then again I'm a tad older than Jeremiah :P ....btw, I had a 500lb+ bear stroll by the blind yesterday. It was by far the biggest bear I've ever seen in the woods....or at a weigh in station. I did take 3 pics with the cell phone before curling into a fetal postion on the groud inside the suddenly very tiny fabic shell of my blind as it huffed & grunted its way by at 25 yds. :help:

Edited by Phil, 24 May 2009 - 06:23 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:49 AM

We have alot of bobcats in our area. I've had one come in while calling for turkeys and have seen about 1/2 dozen over the years while afield.....but then again I'm a tad older than Jeremiah :P ....btw, I had a 500lb+ bear stroll by the blind yesterday. It was by far the biggest bear I've ever seen in the woods....or at a weigh in station. I did take 3 pics with the cell phone before curling into a fetal postion on the groud inside the suddenly very tiny fabic shell of my blind as it huffed & grunted its way by at 25 yds. :help:

Yikes! I'm not a nervous guy but being 25yds on the ground from a 500lb bear would sure affect my nerves!
Posted Image

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Leo,
I noticed a baseball size scar on the trunk of the tree that he used to rub against. His head reached the height of the scar and when he pointed his muzzle up it completely covered the scar. After he wandered away I decided to see how high the mark was. I could reach it without fully extending my arm straight up but when I got home I measured aproximately 78-80" high ....that's huge for a Blackie. I'm trying to figure out how to get the pics from my cell transferred to my computer. Seth got my elk pic off for me but hasn't showed how to do it yet. :doh:

*btw, I was feeling better about having the 835 loaded with 3 1/2" Hevishot than if I'd have had my bow but glad he never knew I was there. I believe this bear has been around our camp for at least 4 years as a couple other members have reported encountering a huge bear during both last season's spring gobbler and archery season a few falls back. They'll be in the breeding season in a few weeks so bear sighting should be on the rise.

Edited by Phil, 24 May 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users