Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Haven't told a story in a while so here ya'll go. :D

WHY THE TURKEY GOBBLES

This is what I was told as a boy.....The Grouse used to have a very fine voice and a good halloo in the ballplay. All the animals and birds used to play ball in those days and were just as proud of a loud halloo as the ball players of today.

The Turkey had not such a good voice, so he asked the Grouse to give him lessons. The Grouse agreed to teach him, but wanted pay for his trouble, and the Turkey promised to give him some feathers to make himself a collar. That is how the Grouse got his collar of turkey feathers.

They began the lessons and the Turkey learned very fast until the Grouse thought it was time to try his voice. "Now," said the Grouse, "I'll stand on this hollow log, and when I give the signal by tapping on it, you must halloo as loudly as you can." So he got upon the log ready to tap on it, as a Grouse does, but when he gave the signal the Turkey was so eager and excited that he could not raise his voice for a shout, but only gobbled, and ever since then he gobbles whenever he hears a noise....So says Adanvdo Towodi ( Spirit Hawk ^i^ )

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:57 AM

Very Cool Norm,
I like the grouse & turkey connection.....kinda like getting 2 birds with one stone story !
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Cool Story Norm. I got to thinking that maybe when I was there the grouse were on vacation or maybe at a show and that is why the gobblers were so silent.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Thanks guys. Paul, you know that rough hill we go up across the road from my house? Road the ATV over there yesterday and there were two big gobblers standing in the road dusting themselves. The biggest would rival jason's 30lb bird. Sure wish we could have seen them when you were here. I'm more convinced than ever that our season starts about a week too late. A lot of folks here think so too.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

Pretty much the story of my spring I either should have been there yesterday or last week. I am enjoying being finally able to sleep in till the late hour of 6 or 7.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

Pretty much the story of my spring I either should have been there yesterday or last week. I am enjoying being finally able to sleep in till the late hour of 6 or 7.

I can relate to that my friend. As we get older hunting can get to be mighty hard work. Enjoyable still, but we just have to pay a greater price for it. Makes when we do score all that much sweeter though. :D

#7 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

Our computer crashed so I have been gone for a while good to hear a story.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Glad you're up and running again bud. also glad you enjoyed the story. :)

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:03 AM

....Mule Deer ???Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users