No replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

Posted Image

All the talk about Spanish Barrels is back on different forums. I decided to give the Spanish barrel CVA Staghorn Magnum a run today. The rifle has a RED DOT Bushnell Trophy Scope. I shot all rounds with a 3 MOA dot setting.

The groups in blue are old groups from a few days ago. They were not shot today. I had my bench rest set up at 70 yards and figured that would be perfect. First off, that 3 MOA dot covers almost the entire green circle of that target at that distance.

I started shooting 405 grain Remington Flat Points on top of 90 grains of Goex 2f. This load was approved by CVA when I discussed it with them. The lower hits in the green circle are those Remington's and also I shot a couple maxiball just to see how they would do.

I then got out some Thompson Center Cheap Shots. This rifle with 90 grains normally shoots them real well. The two red circle groups indicate the difference between Goex 2f and Pyrodex RS. I was very pleased with the way the rifle shot the Cheap Shots. Especially with Goex 2f since it hit the bulls eye three times. For a five shot group, I was real happy.

Surprising was the Pyrodex actually shot them higher then the Goex. Any of them would have been good enough for hunting if that had been the case. So over all I was pleased. Especially since the temperature was in the high 80's and there was a moderate wind from the side. A two inch group with my eye sight is not all that bad from a non magnified optic.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users