7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Well, I've got her finished. Now just need to get a couple things to shoot her. Seems I misplaced my can of #11 caps. :rolleyes: Here's a few pics of the pistol and a plack I made to put it on. Think it will be fun to shoot. Figure I'll try 45 or 50 gr of FFF powder with a .490 ball. 20 gr is minimum and 60 gr max. Should be a real hoot! :D Pics don't realy do it justice. Were too dark without the flash and too bright with it. :shrug:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 May 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

You better get a good hold on that pea shooter if you are planning on using that much 3f powder. I once killed a deer at over 80 yds with a rifle using only 60 grains of 2f and a powerbelt bullet. That is a very mild load for a rifle but is pretty stout for a handgun.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

You better get a good hold on that pea shooter if you are planning on using that much 3f powder. I once killed a deer at over 80 yds with a rifle using only 60 grains of 2f and a powerbelt bullet. That is a very mild load for a rifle but is pretty stout for a handgun.

My favorite load in my Hawken and Renegade 54's was always was 70 gr for plinking and 90 gr for hunting. I did shoot the max of 120 gr a few times but more to just see what it would do. Like with my Mossberg 835 it killed at both ends! :lol: Nope, just because it says you can shoot 60 gr in it don't mean I will. That's why I'm thinking 45 or 50 max. With the recomended loads of 20 gr minimum, and 60 gr max, I'm wondering if 40 gr right there in the middle wouldn't be a pretty good place to start? Would be interested in your and Caugad's opinion on it. I'll be using Pyrodex FFF to push a .490 ball. Do want to try firing a T/C shockwave sabot through it just to see how it shoots. I'm kinda thinking like Cayugad though. With a short 5 1/2" barrel I'm not sure it will stabalize worth a darn. Would be interesting to see how the old T/C Maxi slugs would shoot out of it to but I think for all praticality the patched round ball would be the way to go. I firmly believe that just because a manufactuer says a firearm will handle a maximum load it don't mean it will shoot well out of it.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

I have never had very much experience with a purcussion pistol. I did shoot one many years ago although it was a flintlock with a longer barrel. The owner loaded it for me and man I am glad I had a good grip cause that thing belched smoke clear to the target and belted me pretty good.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

I personally would shoot about 25 grains of powder in that pistol. Here are my reasons. You're not hunting with it. And the range on them horse pistols you will discover is very limited. Also why risk large loads. 60 grains sounds like a lot of powder in that pistol. BUT if that's what the manufacturer says it will do, who am I to argue. Although that does sound like a lot of powder.

With 25 grains you will get all the power you need, better accuracy, less fowling in that short barrel, less expensive to shoot, no recoil, and just a lot of fun.

By the way, you did a beautiful job on that pistol.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

I personally would shoot about 25 grains of powder in that pistol. Here are my reasons. You're not hunting with it. And the range on them horse pistols you will discover is very limited. Also why risk large loads. 60 grains sounds like a lot of powder in that pistol. BUT if that's what the manufacturer says it will do, who am I to argue. Although that does sound like a lot of powder.

With 25 grains you will get all the power you need, better accuracy, less fowling in that short barrel, less expensive to shoot, no recoil, and just a lot of fun.

By the way, you did a beautiful job on that pistol.

Thanks bunches my friend it was pure enjoyment working on it. Can't wait to take it back where I bought it and show them the differance. The guys that run the pawn shop always treat me and Jason well. I'm thinking, I may just have to get me another kit of some kind. Kinda like the looks of the Lyman's version of the Plains Pistol. Saw it comes in a kit too. I'd also love to have a T/C Hawken pistol because it has adjustable sights. On this one I had to overcome the previous owners mistakes. It would be nice to start fresh. I'll definitely try the 25 gr load first. Just out of curiosity I'll give CVA a call too, just to confirm the loading data. Only thing I'll use this pistol for is plinking and maybe as a carry along muzzleloader season. Out to bow range, 30 yards or so, do you think it would do the job on a whitetail as long as placement of the shot was good?

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 May 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

Out to 30 yards.. a while back I might have told you NO. But I was shooting my .44 caliber Black Powder Revolver one afternoon and it shoots 30 grains of 3f APP powder. I got bored shooting holes in paper, so I set a 2 inch spruce plank up against a tree and started to combat shoot it. (since it was almost as wide as a kill zone on a person's chest) I was positive the lead balls would be buried in that plank. At 25 yards they blew right through. So would they penetrate a deer at that distance? I am thinking they would. But because of the very low velocity, there would be little expansion, and unless you hit a vital organ and shut it down, you'd be in for a long tracking job with probably very little blood.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Much apreciated. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users