Fletching Glue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

A few friends have reported good things to me about using the newer rubberized "Impact Tough" formula Gorilla brand Super Glue for archery purposes. (NOT the original polyurethane Gorilla glue which actually expands as it dries!) Well, today my new feathers and such arrived and I decided to give this glue a try for myself.

I will say up front that I've always advocated "archery specific" adhesives such as Fletch-Tite or, if a cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) formula is preferred, something like Goat Tuff or AAE Fastset Gel. This is because the few times I've used "standard" store bought adhesives for fletching they have always seemed brittle and caused excessive "white clouding" once dried.

The first thing I can say about the rubberized Gorilla Super Glue is that, to my surprise, it did not cause any white clouding on my arrows. This was a very pleasant thing as I was fletching my black Easton X7s. If any arrow was going to show the typical chalky-white haze that most Super Glues cause it would have been these arrows. The second thing was that the 30 second clamp time rang true even with feathers! (Which is always nice when you are glueing up one feather at a time in a Bitzenburger jig.) Even though the glue was still slightly tacky when unclamped, everything stayed put and was completely dry within a few minutes.

Equally impressive was how this glue "filled in the gaps". Anyone who has ever used a helical clamp in a Bitzenburger jig will know what I'm talking about. With longer vanes or feathers, the middle of the fletch tends to not sit perfectly flush with the arrow shaft. With the Gorilla Super Glue, however, the slight gap was perfectly filled in once dry.

All told, two thumbs up for the Gorilla! I am told that the rubberized Super Glue really shines on inserts and uni-bushings as it is more impact resistant than other Super Glues which are typically brittle. Personally, I use hot melt glue for that, so I probably won't be finding out first-hand. But, from what I have seen for fletching purposes I would think the Gorilla Super Glue would shine for the other arrow components as well.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

Thanks Jere my neighbor does my fletching and is looking for a good glue. I'll tell him about this. He should go ape over it. Lol.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

At half the price of Goat Tuff (Goat Tuff is ~$5 for 7 oz. and this is ~$5 for 15 oz.) I can tell you it's going to be my fletch glue for a while. It lays down a really nice bead. Not too thick or thin. Being able to walk into Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, K-Mart - practically anywhere - and buy it is a really nice perk too.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Rubber toughened Cyanoacrylates aren't really stronger. But they are a good deal more flexible and impact resistant. Cyberbond made the first rubber toughened cyanoacrylate I'm aware of but it wasn't commercially available like the gorilla version. It's good stuff and will take a pretty good beating.

Moisture activates Cyanoacrylates and speeds up polymeriztion. This isn't necessarily a good thing. The more moisture on the mating surfaces the shorter the molecular chains and weaker the cured polymer. When I used cyanonacrylates in industrial applications, the surfaces we didn't want to bond accidentally got wetted prior to gluing. That way an accidental bond due to excess glue was extremely brittle and easier to remove.

Super glue accelerants contain primarily water. Their convienance is offset by substantially weakening the glue strength. Don't use accelerants to fletch arrows! It's not worth it.

Wiping the surfaces as dry as possible will help minimize "frosting" and increase the bond strength. Yes the bond takes longer to cure. But it's worth the wait.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

Jeremiah Thanks for the review. :clap: I have used the same Gorilla super glue as you reviewed. I have used it on Bohnings Blazer vanes and the new Fusion vanes by Duravane. It takes a while to setup but once it does it holds very well. And like you mentioned for the price you can't go wrong plus the quantity is twice what comes in a Loc-tite bottle of super glue gel.

I did email Gorilla but never got a reply about them producing a gel version of this product.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users