6 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

It's hard to believe, as long as I've been shooting, I've only recently learned how to serve my own bowstring. I found the serving wears out much more quickly on my recurve, so, out of necessity I cornered a good friend and fellow bow hunter to show me how it's done.

The basics include serving the tag under on one end, then serving over a loop on the other, into which the tag is threaded and pulled under by pulling the loop.

Now, I've seen (on the internet) another way where one uses the serving tool on the last end to jump over a big spot, serve backwards and use that loop (held by the hand) to serve back over the tag and pull the loop. Unless you've done it or seen it I'm sure none of that makes any sense.

Anyway, the essence is still the same - you need to end up with the tag on both ends underneath the serving.

Which way do you guys do it and why?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

Pulling the tag back under with a loop is the easiest way. Back wrapping over the tag end is the most secure. The reason is when you back wrap the tag end gets a slight wrap around the bowstring versus the pull back method which keeps the tag end absolutely straight. You can "cheat" a little with the pull through method if before you pull the tag tight you twist the still loose loops some to get that tag wrap. That's not easy and you'll loose a couple external wraps but you can do it.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

I used to make bowstrings for my bro-in-law when he had an archery shop. To make an entire string you need a jig and a bit of sweat equity. I would not advise the envestment to buy a jig and serving tool and the string material. Back when I was making strings the actual string material would stretch. You had to actually make the string shorter to accomodate that stretch. It was also a chore to get all the string wraps the same tension. That is a feel type of thing. To finish off the serving I always used a loop of string material with the tag ends away from the serving. I then back served over the loop and cut off the serving string leaving enough to pull back through the back serving. I then tucked the loose end of the serving through the loop and took a pair of needle nosed pliers and pulled the serving end back through the back serving. You can just place the loop on the string with the open ends toward the serving and finish serving and then pull the tag end back towards the middle. As I recall the serving thread was of a nylon type material so I trimmed the end close, frayed the end and melted it and pressed it flat. If you never did this it will all be gibberish.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

I finish my servings with the big loop and back serving. It may be more difficult, but that's the way I learned and have always done it that way. I hope to have a video tutorial of this up before long. (I have a bow that needs a re-serve. Just a matter of getting off my butt, setting up the camera, and doing it. :doh2: )

Update: Hunting Resource Archery Tutorials

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

That would be awesome Jer!
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

If any of you remember I use to have a series of pictures and a how to tie the basic serving knot on the old board.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#7 snydleyed

snydleyed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:traditional archery, bow building, hunting and fishing

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

to me the most important part is make surewhen you serve you serving /wrapping so that when your fingers slip off the string your tightening the wrap and not losening. best way to explain is that when the aright handed bow is served it should be to the right. Make sense know i did it backwards once and the dam thing didnt last a year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users