• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:46 PM

I was on another forum and a member there claims that Knight Rifles has gone out of business. I went to the Knight website and all appears normal there. Has anyone heard of them going?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Yep, I don't think it's a rumor. Knight is done :(

TC has been slaughtering them business wise for quite some time.

Strangely when every other gun company in the country is experiencing record sales for one to go under is absolutely amazing.
Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

The inline buiseness is pretty competitive I'd say. Hate to see Knight go under. They made a fine rifle. Think the disc did them more harm than good though. It was quickly outdated. T/C has a long and dedicated fan base. Their record for quallity realy makes them stand out and they've made some great inovations themselves. I give CVA a lot of credit too. They've come a long way in improving their line of guns and by offering them at a reasonable price they've kept sales up. I think Knight was getting a bit pricy myself. That could have hurt them some too.

#4 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

here is a link to the artical I read

http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/2009/06/knight-rifles-closes-doors.html

Pretty sad and scary,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the article R L. I too am a chevy driver and a knight fan. For both to fail and so close together is a bit of a shocker. It seems that Knight Rifles went from a big inovater and leader in the inline field to playing catchup with the rest of the companies. My knight is one of the original or near original designs that does not use the 209 primers but can be converted to use them. It is an open breech design and has to be protected from foul weather but it shoots so accurately I am reluctant to switch to another. I actually believe that the muzzleloader companies have not seen the huge surge in sales that the modern gun industry has been recently experiencing.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Paul, I still think that muzzleloader sales vary localy. Here they seem to be selling like hotcakes. About as fast as stores, like Bass Pro, get them in. Our local Bass Pro is staying pretty well stocked but I notice each time I go in the muzzleloader rack is full of differant guns than when last I looked, with about a week between visits. Then too, when I was shopping for my optima Pro, I had a heck of a time finding anywhere that had any muzzleloaders in stock at all. Everywhere I called they told me they were sold out. I got lucky and visited Bass Pro just after they got a new shipment in. Of course I think modern weapons are selling faster but that's to be exspected. I also notice that everywhere you go amunition is selling out as fast as they get it in. Strange days we live in. We can thank Obama the magnificent for much of that!

Edited by Spirithawk, 05 June 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

It is pretty sad to see Knight go under. I haven't used any of their products, but it seemed like they made fine firearms.

I thought their KP1 would be a decent rival to T/C's Encore. Not sure how the prices compared though. It did take Knight a few years to come out with something to rival the Encore, and I think that lack of innovation might have been what did them in. Knight had some nice technology, but the last few years it seemed like they were always chasing the competition.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yes Knight is done, but their parts department will still be operating. Also there is a rumor that after some reorganization, they will be back. Whether they will be Knight, who knows.

Knight always made fine rifles, but they banked their future on some models that had problems and no appeal. While Thompson Center had the Omega, and Encore, then the Pro Hunter and Triumph.. Knight was pushing such rifles as the Revolution,
Revolution II, Vision, Shadow, and the ones that sold well like the Elite was phased out. They went to a Disc Extreme. When they finally saw their error, I think they were just trying to catch up to the rest of the pack all the time, and never did. Also as many will remember, Thompson Center spent millions on adds pushing their products and telling the problems with the Knight line.

Two rifles currently in the Knight line up, the KP-1 and the KR-7 *rolling block, are good rifles. The Disc Extremes are still out there. But Knight was selling off their stock last weekend in Iowa. I talked to a person that went to the sale. There were TK2000 being sold for $149.00 and someone was selling blue on blue Disc Extremes the other day on Gun Broker for $199.00 with shipping. That was a hard deal to pass up, but I did.

So those that love a good rifle, now is the time to keep your eyes open. The Disc Extremes and maybe even some of the KP-1 might start showing up on sites for a real bargin..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

It's realy a shame. Though I sold my Knight MK-85 it was truly an outstanding rifle. If it had been a .50 I'd still have it. I totally agree with you dave. I think they just fell behind and couldn't keep up with the likes of Thompson Center. Man, I'd sure like to have snatched up one of those TK2000's at that price. What a deal! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users