4 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

I have a friend that uses premium fletching tape (the kind carried by 3-Rivers Archery) to attach his feathers to his carbon shafts. He places a drop of glue at the front and back end of each feather. His experience is good - they do not come off. Of course he's not shooting through a whisker biscuit, he's shooting traditional gear - off the shelf. Also he uses wraps, so the tape is sticking to the feather and a paper-type wrap. He says the feather will tear long before it will come off.

Has anyone else used fletching tape?

Any war stories?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

I use a 3 inch long wrap, 1.5 mil You can either order them from any archery supply. Or you can go to a local sign company and use the same vinyl, cut 1 inch by how ever long you need for the vanes you use for carbon shafts. Plus your arrows are much easier to clean for refletching.

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Not talking about wrap material - this is a tape used to tape the feather to the arrow shaft.

Anyone ever use it?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.3riversar...84_product.html

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

I was hoping someone who had actually used the stuff would chime in.

All I can tell you is that I've never used the stuff. The theory is that it's faster and provides a more consistent bond. (I can not verify this.) But, here's the deal... The bases of feathers actually absorb some of the glue you apply. If you don't lay down enough of a bead your feathers will fall right off the arrow no matter what type of glue you use or how long you leave the arrow clamped in the jig. The main intention of the tape is to avoid this. Additionally, gluing up feathers takes, easily, two to three times more clamp time regardless of the type of glue used. (In a recent post I mentioned I use Gorilla Super Glue these days. Feathers took 30 to 60 seconds clamp time compared to 15 to 30 seconds for vanes. Use Fletch-Tite and you're looking at 20 to 30 minutes per feather. :eek: )

Hope that helps, bud. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users