7 replies to this topic

#1 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

I'm thinking about picking up a Revolver that I would be able to use for both hunting, target shooting, and for peace of mind while in the the outdoors. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to Pistols/Revolvers and wanted some input. I was looking at some of the gun sale websites out there and also ammunitions sites to compare prices on cartridges. I've been looking at 357 mags, 44 mags, 454 casulls thus far but am open to suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:34 PM

just my oppinion is the 44 more stopping/knockdown power about the same kick or recoil as the 357 (just a touch more) about same distance and if your looking for piece of mind no matter what you encounter the 44 would do a better job thats just my oppinion
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

I have a 41 mag single shot which I really like but if I were doing it over again I would get a revolver. The 44 mag definately in my opinion has more recoil than the 357 about 2 1/2 times more. It also hits a target with much more authority than the 357. The advantage of both the 357 and the 44 have over my 41 mag is they can use a lighter load than I can. The 357 can shoot 38 special and the 44 can shoot 44 special cartridges. Plus there are fine shot loads for them and not my 41 mag. If you get heavier than the 44 mag you better not be recoil sensitive. Those handguns in cals 44 and above are also quite heavy and that is a consideration if you plan on carrying it as a backup gun when hunting with bow or rifle. They can be heavy enough to make you think about whether you want the extra weight and possibly leave it at home or in the truck thus defeating the purpose you bought it for.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

i have a ruger 44mag single action and love it :D

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

Check out Sprinfield Armory's XD .45 auto. My son has one and loves it. Very little recoil for a .45 and very accurate. It's a great deal when you buy the package offered which includes two clips, holster, clip holder, and loading tool. The NRA gave it very high ratings. :yes:

Edited by Spirithawk, 08 July 2006 - 11:17 AM.

#6 johnf

johnf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

Opps I clicked report rather than reply. :ermm:

I think the 45 acp is too light for hunting. I would go with the 41 or 44 mag. 357 is effective, but it's never a bad thing to have a bigger hole. :D

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

One gun I can highly recomend is a Taurus Raging Bull in a .45 Long Colt. I have one and my son has taken two deer with it. They fell where they stood. It's surprisingly smooth shooting and accurate and has plenty of nock down power. It also has good resale value should you ever decide to sell it and it's way more reliable than an automatic.

Edited by Spirithawk, 08 July 2006 - 11:16 AM.

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

Some of the new handguns they are starting to come out with are amazing. They are getting bigger and better and knock down power to spare.

But they are turning into cannons and not so much into home safety or peace of mind weapons.

Marty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users