• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

I wanted to test more of the Bullshop bullets today under various conditions and with different powders. The testing was all done at 70 yards. The best group of the day was with Goex 3f - 70 grains - (2) 1/16th wads - Bullshop 460 grain conical. It measured outside edges 3/4 inch. I was very pleased with that group.

Posted Image

I started out at 70 yards because that is where the bench was left the day before and I was too lazy to move it. It was 85 degree out, sunny and hardly any wind. My intentions was to do a final tunining on the Nikon Pro Staff scope.

Posted Image

I shot three rounds, and knew it was hitting a little to the right, and moved it over four clicks (1/4 inch a click) and that seemed about right. I also brought it down just a little. The final shot was on top of the bullseye to prove to me the scope was good. Now it was time to start testing different combinations. I was shooting the 500 grain Bullshop Conical bullets for this.

I started my combination testing with the 460 grain Bullshop Conicals, 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and no wads. I was shooting at the upper left corner target. I was not really pleased with that group.

I then went to the lower right corner bull and was shooting 85 grains of some Swiss 2f powder, wads and some 495 grain Bullshop bullets. Since I was changing powder and projectile I swabbed the barrel. The first shot hit fine, the other two, although almost on top of each other, were too high for my liking.

Then I changed over to 70 grains of Goex 3f with wads and the 460 grain Bullshop bullets and went for the uppper right target. I shot those three shots and was so impressed I just new if I shot another I would have blown that beautiful group. Something told me to leave well enough alone.

Since the Triple Se7en was still out on the table, for the lower left targets I loaded 70 grains with wads and the 460 grain Bullshop conicals. I was very happy with that group.

Being amazed at how the White could handle concials like it does, I put the White away for the day and got a traditional rifle out instead...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

Cayugad now that right there is some really fine shooting. One thing I really appreciate about your shooting is honesty. I have seen posts all over the internet of clover leaf patterns at some unreasonable yardage with an equally unreasonable powder load. But never a picture of those shots. Like the Knight advertisement says, "Bull".

From what I have seen I also am not convinced to change from Gooex powder any time soon. When it all boils down when we are hunting we have one shot on a cold clean barrel and that is what I try my best to duplicate at the range.

Thanks for your honest testing and the pics to back it up.

Now I gotta get out there and test some big old lead sleds too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

(2) 1/16th wads

Cayugad why 2 wads? Just wondering.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

I bought the 1/16th thickness and found that through trial and error, that the conicals shot better with two wads making 1/8th thickness. Next purchase will be the 1/8 thick wads instead.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

The White Ultra Mag might be a great shooter but I never under estimate my Knight Wolverine LK-II. I had pulled the scope last week to put some B-Square Steel Mounts on the scope and so I wanted to check and see how much off it was.

Well the rifle always shoots high on a clean barrel, and I had one .430 diameter 300 grain Hornady XTP on top of 80 grains of Swiss 2f Black Powder that loaded terrible and it shot off, but at 70 yards that Wolverine will sure shoot a group. I shot one group of three made an adjustment and then shot for the bull. Then the rains came and it poured on me...

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

Sweeeeet.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

thats some mighty fine shooting there fellow. Thanks for the info.

MD

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

I took the White Ultra Mag out today wanting to try some of the 560 grain BullShop conicals that I just got in. I bought a #500 conical shippment of different sizes to last me through the summer (I hope). I was shooting 70 grains of Goex 3f and two 1/16th wads. The rifle was shooting excellent groups at 70 yards. I was shooting the open sights since I am waiting for my Warne scope mounts to get here. It was off a single sand bag and using CCI Magnum #11 caps as ignition.

I then set up a Pepsi can and hung it on a stick. I decided I'd punched enough holes in paper. So I took a good bead and cut loose at that can and it never even twitched. My first thought was, how could I have missed at only 70 yards, so I shot again at that Pepsi can, and again, nothing.. it just sat out there hanging on that branch. So I figured I was shooting over the top of it. This time I aimed low and fired. Still it did not move. I just could not figure out how I could miss a soda can at only 70 yards three times.... so I picked up my targets and called it a day.

Posted Image

These 560 grains bullets load very easy even on a fowled barrel and they shoot pretty good in my opinion.

#9 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

CAYUGAD I'VE DONE THE SAME THING WITH MY .36 YOU KEEP SHOOTING
AND THINK YOU MISSED ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THE CAN IS SHREDED
YOU NEED TO MAKE A FALLING 1/2 INCH STEEL PLATE SO WHEN THE
CAN GETS HIT THE PLATE WILL FALL :yes: WATS A LOT OF FUN IS WHEN THE CANS ARE FULL B) BUT PAPER IS GOOD TO

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

I might make some swinging steel plates. You shoot, the plate should swing away and a good clear sound ring out. Checking my shooting trap I noticed that these big conicals are pushing it right off the platform it sits on. I really could not believe they could move all that wood and steel, but they are. I am going to fix that once this heat wave goes away... man it is hot here!!!

#11 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:31 AM

CAYUGAD , I KNOW ABOUT HOT WE WHERE IN WEBSTER WIS. SAT & SUN
IT WAS 110 DEG. AT OUR TRAILER ON YELLOW LAKE . TRY AND KEEP COOL
WHEN THE HEAT GOES AWAY ITS TIME TO PLAY ....... SWINGING PLATES
WAY COOL :yes: YOU WOULD THINK THAT THOSE 385 gr. CHUNKS OF LEAD WILL GO THROUGH A LOT AT ABOUT 1200 TO 1800 FT. PER SEC.
GOOD DEER ROUND B)

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

Posted Image

Well I finally got my replacement Warne QD rings from Warne. My old set broke, so I mailed them in and they were replaced without question. I re-mounted my Nikon Pro Sport 2-7x32mm and took that out.

Shots 1-8 were done at 25 yards to get the scope on paper. I sighted in with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f & 2 wads with 495 grain No Excuse Conicals. The group by the center bull is a five shot group.

I then moved back to the 50 yard station and began to fine tune the scope. The upper left corner bull is some of the 460 gr BullShop conicals with 70 grains of Goex 3f with two fiber wads. No swabbing was done during all this shooting.

The lower left corner bull was done with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f & 2 wads shooting 460 grain BullShop Conicals. These BullShop conicals are a .504 diameter were as the No Excuse are .503. They fit a little tighter.

The lower right corner bull was done with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f & 2 wads with some of the 500 NEI BullShop conicals. Again, this is a 4 shot group and I was more then pleased with it at 50 yards.

Then just to show off I took a poke at the upper right corner bull but loaded with Goex 3f & 2 wads and the 500 grain NEI. The down range energy of these big conicals is very impressive. I was looking around the target stand and noticed that it has been slowly pounding all the boards apart that hold the stand together. I am starting to think there is just no stopping these simple conical bullets.

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

This weather and those targets give new meaning to "When you're hot, you're hot!" :lol:

#14 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

I really like the set up I have with this White Rifle. The 2-7x32 Nikon Pro Sport Scope with the quick release rings is really working out well. It seems to return to zero everytime. Also the power that these large conicals have is excellent. Even a small power charge and they will do extensive down range thumping.

#15 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

I decided to finish the final tuning of the scope at the 70 yard mark since that's where I like them sighted in at. The first five shots under the bull was more then good. I then over cranked it for one, but adjusted and the other four fell in to the bull like they should. Then to make sure it was not a lucky set, I took a poke at all four corner bulls.

Posted Image

The to press my luck, I decided to shoot groups in the corners. Again, I was more then happy with how this rifle shot. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f with 2 1/16th fiber wads and a 500 grain .504 BullShop conical bullet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users