#1 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Guys

WY draw dates for residents and non residents are set for June 24th 2009.

I am praying for you Frank and Tony, this place is pretty special

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

Guys

WY draw dates for residents and non residents are set for June 24th 2009.

I am praying for you Frank and Tony, this place is pretty special

BC

Not this year but I'm definately gonna try to make it back to Wyoming. The last state in alphabetical order but one of the first in hunting opportunity!
Posted Image

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Your welcome anytime my friend, we would love to get you back to Cowboy country

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:03 AM

Friend of mine that used to live in Jackson now lives in Laramie and put together a hunt for this year. He hunts the Shirley Basin (area 47) so that's the area we put in for. The chances of drawing a buck first year are slim, but should get some doe tags.

It's easy for me to remember the draw date - it's my birthday.

We're looking at trying the last weekend in August with the bows (season opens 15 August).

I think they're posting the results of the draw on 1 July thereabouts? This year is the first year for first-come-first-serve on-line for left-overs. I think that's what I read.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

I am very familiar with that area, holds a good herd of elk. are you hunting private, public or hunter management areas? That will be about 20 miles north of where I took Huck but your past Medicine Bow WY. there will be plenty of targets in that country HJ

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:10 AM

By the way he was talking we're hunting public land. Said it's a haul in there so we'll likely camp instead of headed to town every evening. That's fine with me.

Elk you say? Guess I should start putting in for the elk draw!

I used to play music with Joel here in Indiana. He moved to Wyoming to guide in the Tetons and finish his wildlife degree. Now he's married and living in Laramie, but still hunts a great deal. He says he'll have the water holes all scoped out for the pop-up blinds. Do you guys hunt water holes in late August?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Depends on the water situation in August, if we get hot, which it can up there, in August waterholes will work great for a bow.

Goats are not easy spot and stalk they will pick you off long before you see them. there should be some HMU open in those areas that will be available for allotment on the 24th if drawn. These are private land ranches that allow walk in on their property and G&F pays them a fee for doing so. Might look into it on the G&F homepage for that area to see what if any is available they are 1st come 1st serve but not impossible to get by any means

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

Appreciate it Marty, I'll check in to it!

#9 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

anytime brother

this is the link to the HMA page but not open yet for hunters till July 1

http://gf.state.wy.u...am/default.aspx

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hey, if I'm unusuccessful in August with the bow I intend to be back in September with the rifle. Casey has a nice Remington 700 chambered in .270 - plenty of gun - but I have a new AR with target match bull barrel chambered in .223 which I'm assuming is still plenty of gun for goats? Thought that might be cool to lay down the smack on some goats with an AR.

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

243 is the smallest Caliber legal for big game in WY

Plenty of gun for an antelope but may not buck the wind like some of your 30 caliber rifles, we do get some awesome displays of wind in this part of the country seems like everytime you just about get a shot it goes over 30mph--

bipods work well here

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#12 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:59 AM

Wow - glad you told me that!

I also have the .458 SOCOM AR. It has the flat top with rail...could put a scope on it with a bipod - is the .458 legal?

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

Wow - glad you told me that!

I also have the .458 SOCOM AR. It has the flat top with rail...could put a scope on it with a bipod - is the .458 legal?

Don't know about the caliber but careful about the scope. For example, I believe red dot scopes aren't legal to hunt with in Wyoming.
Posted Image

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

No, I'm mounting some good optics to the .223 (varmint eliminator), but could mount it to the .458 for this hunt. I'm probably going with the flip-up front and rear sights (front on the gas block rail and rear to the rear receiver rail) and think maybe a quick release mount with some serious optics would be cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users