#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Posted Image

Jason just bought his son a new deer rifle. Here's a pic. It's an H&R Model SB2 "ULTRA" .243 Win. It has the "Bull Barrel" and checkered laminated stock with a Bushnell Banner 3 x 9 x 40 on top. It's a pretty nice little rifle.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 June 2009 - 09:33 AM.

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:07 AM

Good caliber looks like a good gun. Does it have a clip or what?

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Good caliber looks like a good gun. Does it have a clip or what?

Nope, it's a break open single shot. Ever since I got my T/C Encore Jason has been partial to single shots. They provide a hunting exsperience in a class all their own. Hunting with this one will go a long way in teaching Tyler the importance of making that first shot count. I've seen a lot of youngsters, and some adults too, with repeaters just point and shoot....and shoot...and shoot! Some till their guns were empty! Resulting in all misses or a poorly wounded deer. With a single shot you know you best take good aim. I'm proud to say I've rarely ever had to fire twice in my 30 + years of hunting. Another nice thing about the H&R is that you can change barrels from centerfire, to shotgun, or muzzleloader like with my T/C.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 June 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

Break-Down single - that's the way to start!

i started on a bolt action single shot .22 - excellent.

Happy Hunting!
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

I hunted alot of white tails with a 243...fast and flat...works great on yotes as well :)

nice set up to start with :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Jason had a Remington 600 bolt action in .243 that he kinda regrets getting rid of. Wanted another .243 so this gave him the perfect excuse to buy one. With the bull barrel this should be a real tack drver too. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 June 2009 - 04:06 PM.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Looks very good. I too like that caliber infact I used a 243 for about 15 years as my only rifle.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

I started with a 30-30 single shot and my first new gun was a savage 99c, 243 that I still have and is the gun I used to shoot my antelope in Wyoming last year.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

I've really become found of hunting with my single shot Encore. There is just something that I can only describe as a feeling of bare basics with a single shot. Nothing pretentious, nothing fancy, very accurate, hard hitting and just plain fun. :) As I said, even Jason has fallen in love with the single shot break open designs. That's the main reason he bought an Optima 209, and then me later, my Optima Pro. He was right, it has much the same feel as my Encore. H&R has been around for a long time and they are pretty rugged reliable firearms. I think this one will be kept in the family for a very long time. I intend that when I'm gone my Encore goes to Jason and then on to Tyler with the promises it never gets sold nor traded. We are partial to good guns in that manor. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users