22 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:16 PM

After posting about my grandson's new deer rifle I got to thinking. Yeah, I know, there I go again being dangerous. ROFL But realy, I got to thinking about how attatched you can get to a good firearm. For instance my old Richland Arms Colt 1860 Old Army .44. I bought that pistol when Jason was only months old. I love that old pistol, and I know Jason does too. I know when he looks at it he sees me. Then there's the double barrel AYA .12 ga my brother-in-law gave me. It's a very exspensive and beautiful shotgun, but it's value to me is purely sentimental. It was the first gun I ever hunted with, recently given to me by the man who taught me so much about hunting, and who can no longer hunt himself. And of course my T/C Encore .270. Which I won back in 2001 from the Secrets of the Hunt contest. Took my first, and only, Pronghorn Antelope with it in Wyoming, a dream hunt with Dave Watson. I will never forget a single moment of that wonderful time and I've taken many a Whitetail with it since, thus adding to the memories. Jason's Ruger Mark II All Weather 7mm mag holds a lot of memories for him. It's the first deer rifle that Jason ever really fell in love with. He has confidence when carrying it, knowing it will get the job done, because it already has so many times. Yes, a gun can sure bring back memories, every time you look at it or hold it in your hand. It is more than a weapon, it can be a direct link to a many wonderful memory. The ones I mentioned here will never be sold. Never traded. But will be held onto, used and apreciated, and then handed down along with the memories of it's past owner, to the next person in line, so that they can make memories of their own. Yep, a good gun is a mighty good investment and in many more ways than simple dollar value. Scuse me, I need to go hug my Encore. Posted Image lol

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 June 2009 - 11:19 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

Norm I have a few of those myself. I have an old Mossberg bolt action 20 guage that was the first gun I bought myself that I won't part with but may give to a grandchild when they are ready. I also have several more that are in that same category.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Norm I have a few of those myself. I have an old Mossberg bolt action 20 guage that was the first gun I bought myself that I won't part with but may give to a grandchild when they are ready. I also have several more that are in that same category.

Yep Paul, I knew if anyone could relate, that you could. Us old guys tend to notice such things more. :)

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

Norm we are not old we just have had more time to experience those sentimental memories. Now if we can just remember them. Lol

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Norm we are not old we just have had more time to experience those sentimental memories. Now if we can just remember them. Lol

You've lost me. What were we talking about????? I forget! ROFL

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Lets see:
I was 14 years old, my dad took me to a gun shop in Aberdeen SD. ( turned out to be the basement of a guys house ) he had a full blown gun shop down stairs, rows and rows of guns. We picked out a Marlin bolt action 22 as my very first rifle purchase. Little did my Dad know that he had just sent me down a road that would be part of my life forever ( or maybe he did )

In any case, many guns have come and gone in my years, but that one 22 still sits in the gun case. It aint purty...by any means, it's old, worn, used. I can't count how many gophers or rabbits it brought home for me, it was used when I bought it, iron sites but it still shoots great.

Then there is my colt 25 semi auto. This gun goes back about 15 years for me. A local farmer walks into my folks hardware store and says, I need a new weed eater. I talk to Splick for a while and ask him why he needs a NEW one. He tells me how his old one the head keeps falling off. Bring it in and let me look at it. ( which he did ) I found the problem and said well instead of spending 130 bucks how about we spend 25? I can order a new head and this one will be good as new. A few weeks later he walks in the store and says...I'm gonna sell you 3 guns for 200 dollars. I smile, ok Splick whatever you say. I went out to his place that afternoon and he shows me all around. We go down in his basement and there is a trophy room that would make Huck Drool. This guy had hunted almost any place you could. Photos of the old mid 40's cars with the long running boards, hundreds of geese laid along the running board, over the fenders and out infront of the car. ( one days hunt for 2 guys ) zebra skin on the wall from africa, every turn was a new picture or a new mount. A history of his life and hunting. So after an hour or so of seeing all of his hunting memories he takes me to his office ( bedroom made into an office ) opens up a desk drawer and there is an H&R 32 and H&R 9 shot 22 rev. and a colt semi auto 25 ( still with the orgional paper work ) I look the 3 guns over and the two H&R's are pretty worn out and really no collects value and not something you'd really want to go out shooting with. rifling in the barrels was almost gone. But that little colt. that was something. So I told Splick...I'd like to buy just one, the Colt. NOPE all or none....Ok Splick...now what was the price ( knowing that 200.00 was way to low for all 3 guns ) He said BOY...you got bad memorie or bad hearing...I told you 200 for all 3.

I stopped and laughed...Splick...you know your under priced right now, and I am giving you an opertunity to change your price.
Nope no changes, 200 for all 3 take it or leave it. I cut him a check for 200.00 all 3 and smiled as I'm picking them up to head out. He takes his cowboy hat off the rack by the door, I snicker as he doen't brush off the cobwebs on his hat. Then this huge hands lands on my shoulder and he leans in and smiles He says you just made about 800 dollars.

SPLICK if you know how much they are worth why did you sell me all 3 for 200? He says ya know, your new in town ( I had moved back months earlier to help my folks in their business ) he said you treated me right and I've heard you talk hunting almost every time I've come in the store. I knew it was time to pass a couple of memories along and you seemed to be the right person to do so.

those H&R's are junk, get what you can for them, the Colt is a collector. I sold the 2 H&R's with in 24 hours and covered my cost of the 3. I've been offered between 800 and 1800 for the Colt. I really don't know what its value is, I've run a couple of rounds through it just cause I had to.

But its a memorie that means as much to me as buying that first 22 with my Dad.

Someday I hope to create the same memories with someone as Splick did with me.

Yep guns are worth more then just the cash we paid for them.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

You know Bruce you are absolutely right. There are guns that we have that when held will bring back memories and smiles just like when we look at a set of antlers or a mount. Yep if you want a trip down memory lane get out one of those old guns and just hold it and the memories will flood back.

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image Good reading guys & wonderful memories !
I've still got the Savage 22 bolt action rifle that I bought with many monthes & miles worth of pedaling my Huffy bicycle delivering newspapers on a rural route outside of State College PA ....and shoveling horse manure & bailing hay at Cappriolla stables on weekends. My brother and I bought twin guns. We'd buy a brick of 22lr shells each Friday with our paper route money then after farm chores on Saturdays ride bikes to the Scotia rifle range to shoot every last shell. That old 22 has harvested tons of woodchucks, squirrels, rabbits, countless racoons/skunks/possums that fell prey to our trapping expeditions into the local gamelands known as "The Barrens"( 3000 acres of red oak scrub & hardwoods). There's absolutely no other rifle that will train a young boy stalking skills better than heading afield with a 22 cal. rimfire!

Money was awful tight when the kids were little and the wife was a full time stay at home mom (hey, Seth was a handful & then somePosted Image ) so all I could afford to do was admire the beautiful Remmington 700's & Winchester 70's at local gunshops and dream of one day buying one. A gunsmith friend told be to consider finding a 98 German mauser as he could use the action to build me a good rifle for 1/2 the price of new rifle. On my younger brother's wedding day he wanted to slip away from all the hectic last minute pressures so we drove a gas station /gunshop a couple blocks away to kill 45 minutes. I asked if they had any used 270's or 06's and he showed me a couple decent bolt actions then mentioned he had taken an old mauser in on trade. As soon as I picked it up I knew that I'd found my rifle. I didn't have the $175 he was asking but dropped $25 towards a layaway, then sent him 6 more $25 payments over the next 2 monthes. It had a Tasco 3x9x32mm scope on it and he threw in a sling and box of shells. I can honestly say that over sixty whitetails , 1 buck antelope,1 1/2 bull elk, tons of woodchucks have been harvested by myself/Seth/ brother with this rifle. I have reblued the barrel, refinished the stock, glass bedded the barrel & action and upgraded the scope to Bushnell Elite 3x9x40mm. That rifle pretty much symbolizies my life as a hunter...nothing flashy, just keep going and withstand the test of time.

Edited by Phil, 19 June 2009 - 05:51 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Guys, I really enjoy reading your responses. I was smiling ear to ear as I read them. I knew my sentiments on cherished guns would not fall on deaf ears. I always told my wife that if we ever have another fire the first thing I'm doing is start passing guns out the window to her. She keeps asking me why since they're heavily insured. I just can't get her to understand that the dollar value can be replaced, but the value that I hold so dear never could. And yes, ask my buddy Paul where my gun cabinet is. It's right next to the window! lol Be it an old gun you love and have had for years, or one handed down to a friend or family member that they will always remember it as once being your's, it's an heirloom you just can't put a price on. The wonderful memories attatched to them are like snapshots back in time. I often think about Jason hunting with my Encore after I'm gone. I know each time he'll take it out it will be as if I'm still there with him, going hunting. Making new memories, to in time be handed down to Tyler, Jason's son so that he can make memories of his own. Thanks for sharing your memories with me guys.

#10 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

I only ever got rid of one gun that I have owned and I regret trading off the only gun my grandfather gave me it was a 44-40 colt pump gun and I traded it on a 22 hornet and a 410 shotgun. I have made a vow never to get rid of another gun. Even the 20 gauge JC Higgins bolt action shotgun that is pretty much a club but my son likes it even though he is left handed. I got a brand new savage 243 when I was 14 and later a Smith&Wesson 30:06 these guns have killed a lot of whitetails, groundhogs and even a antelope. I accuired my uncles only two guns that he owned. He bought them when he came home from the War and Germany in 1946. One is a Winchester 94 32 special and the other is a Fox double barrel 16 gauge. Since my uncle died this past April on his 87th birthday they have come to mean a lot more. My first revolver my first muzzleloader I remember so many hunts with all these guns and all I have to do to stir the memories is go to the gun cabinet. Thanks so much for a wonderful post Spirithawk.Posted Image

#11 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:57 AM

I sold a Mossberg 835 to a guy once and he showed up at camp, then proceed to hit a triple on claybirds with it Posted Image ....I never really did like that dang shotgun!....but I did forgive the shooter after he stuffed me with his famous burnt edge pancakes, gave me a ride to Colorado, packed 1/2 my elk out !Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Unfortunately, when my health first started going down hill, I had to sell a few guns to make ends meet. The one I really regret selling though was a Ted Williams Edition bolt action .270 made by Winchester. That gun was both beautiful and deadly accurate. The only way Jason and I will get rid of a gun now is either to sell it, to raise the price of another gun we have our eye on, or trade it for another gun. We hate looking at the gun cabinet and seeing an empty spot. LOL

#13 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

I know what ya mean I have a 6 gun cabinet with 11 in it.Posted Image

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

Jason and I have a 17 gun cabinet and 4 empty spots needing to be filled. Was full but we did a bit of trading of lesser valued guns for better quallity ones. Our main concern in aquiring them is that they are both well made and that we will have a use for them. We don't believe in a gun just sitting there looking pretty. Even got rid of a couple because they were just too nice to carry into the woods. We also look at fit very seriously. We'll shoulder the rifle several times. It has to feel right or we quickly lose interest.

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

I have one gun in particular that I do not shoot much at all. It belonged to one of my great grandfathers was passed down to my father and finally to me. Eric shot his first buck with that rifle. It is a Winchester model 92 saddle carbine in 38/40. I also have a Winchester model 92 full rifle in 32/20 which was given to me by my grandfather. I would not be able to part with either of them even though they are marginal deer cartridges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users