22 replies to this topic

#16 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

I have one gun in particular that I do not shoot much at all. It belonged to one of my great grandfathers was passed down to my father and finally to me. Eric shot his first buck with that rifle. It is a Winchester model 92 saddle carbine in 38/40. I also have a Winchester model 92 full rifle in 32/20 which was given to me by my grandfather. I would not be able to part with either of them even though they are marginal deer cartridges.

Well, I actually do have one that won't get fired much. That's the AYA double barrel 12 ga. that was a gift from my brother-in-law. If I get it back in top shape though that will change. It would be fun to turkey hunt with it now and then.

#17 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

I was invited to my boss's cabin last year and we had a clay bird shoot. They had a shot gun there that some guy traded in for a car I never really heard how much it was worth just several thousand dollars. They asked if I wanted to shoot it and I said I don't even want to touch it. It was beautiful though.Posted Image

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

I have a few like that too. My father-in-law used to collect Parker Shotguns. He asked me once how many I wanted. I told him that I knew he wanted to give some to good friends so I restricted that gift to two a side by side double and a single barrel skeet gun. He then gave my sons and daughter each one. When he gave me the word to take all the guns and other things from his gun room there were still several of those Parkers there. I was nearly overwhelmed at his generosity. Over the years he had given me two sakos in 222 Rem, several shotguns and then in the last remaining ones several hunting rifles in 7mm T&R mag. I wont reveal how many guns I have but my safe holds 37 and many are at Erics. Of course I have the huge benchrest guns in my safe that we ocassionally get out and shoot and they take up more than one space. One of my plans is to photograph them all one by one and that will take a while. I am one lucky guy. Oh I didn't mention the handguns either so I won't.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 23 June 2009 - 07:52 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#19 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:42 AM

My dad had a Winchester 94 30-30 that I thought he'd never part with, but last March he handed that old rifle to my son, Casey, on his birthday.

That was an emotional day.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#20 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Ah... Memories of guns:

Little ol' Remington 597 .22 that I bought when I was 12. My first gun I actually bought with my own money.

My dad's old bolt action single shot .22.

My little Rossi .223 that I bought for hunting varmints while spotlighting. Academy threw in a single case, sling, extra double case and it came with a Tasco 3x9x32 scope on it already. Bought the gun with a cousin of mine, decided I didn't like it. Sold the gun to a friend and then my counsin got killed in a car wrecked. Paid more than my buddy did to buy it back just so I would have the memories of buying that gun with my cousin.

Then there's my pride and joy. Tikka .270 with a Burris 4-16x50 scope on it. It was my cousin's favorite gun. (The same one killed in the car accident.) I told my uncle that I wanted the .223 back after I found out my cousin had the accident. He shook his head and walked into the other room for a minute then I heard him call my name. I walked into the room and on his bed he had a double gun case laid open. It turned out to be the case that I got when I bought my .223 (They threw it in for free and I didn't need it so I gave it to my cousin at the time.). In that case was the Tikka my cousin always used. My uncle told me that I wouldn't need the .223 back because I had HIS gun. The one he ALWAYS hunted with. I told him I would put it up and take good care of it. My uncle then explained to me that I had to actually USE it if I wanted the gun. So I've taken a few varmints and a decent 8 pointer with it now. I never will forget all the fun I had hunting with my cousin. We didn't get to go together a whole lot, but when we did we had fun. I always respected him and wanted to be just like him when I got older. He was about twice my age or so. Ah.. the memories... :)
BrandonT

#21 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:25 AM

My first .22 squirrel gun was a bolt action single shot Remington - wish i had it back. Traded it for a coon dog. No clue where it is now.

The Browning leveraction .22 I used for years and years, killed a truck load of squirrels with it, now it's my son's gun. Last year he took I don't know how many squirrels with that gun - same scope and everything. He loves that gun like I did. Told me the other night he'd never sell it. Said it was special. Got to tell ya, made this old ticker flutter to hear him love a gun that I loved so much.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#22 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

I can pick up my dad's old marlin bolt action 22 and can immediately go back to my first hunt and my first squirrel. I shot the squirrel with a borrowed 410 but it hung up on a small limb and my dad proceeded to shoot that limb off and retrieve my very first squirrel. I remember thinking that my dad was going to blow that squirrel to bits but he kept missing the squirrel what a relief when the limb came down neatly taken off with a few well placed shots. I still have that rifle and my son also has built many memories with it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#23 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

I was invited to my boss's cabin last year and we had a clay bird shoot. They had a shot gun there that some guy traded in for a car I never really heard how much it was worth just several thousand dollars. They asked if I wanted to shoot it and I said I don't even want to touch it. It was beautiful though.Posted Image

This AYA double barrel I have is a very early one. It has the maker's name on the barrel, instead of just AYA like newer ones, and there's no model number. Aguirre Y Aranzaral made in Ravell - Barcelona Spain. I've only found it in one gun book and that was way back in 1975. It was worth $2,600 back then. AYA is very popular in England and they take their shotguns pretty seriously. I'll still shoot it now and then. It deserverves to be used. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users