7 replies to this topic

#1 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

My husband is buying me a fly rod n and it isn't even my birthday!!!- he has one but hasn't used it in years....
I'm not too sure about this - any tips???

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

Sorry I don't have any - gladly share it if I did. I've done it several times and like any other style of fishing it takes practice.

To me fly fishing is way too much work Posted Image . The guys I have fished with that fly fished caught dinks mostly compared to the fish everyone else was reeling in. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I only dabble, Vickie. So, please, do not take what I say as the end all on the subject. But, what I've found over the years is that 90% of it is in the fly rod itself. A quality rod is not a luxury, it's critical. If one goes cheap (and I don't necessarily mean price-wise) they will struggle with it. The other 10% to the casting aspect is a good quality line matched to the rod. I highly recommend Cortland weight forward line. Floating or sinking will depend, obviously, on whether you are fishing with dry flies (float on top) or wet flies (underwater nymph/larvae imitators mostly). Yes, you'll probably drop $50 on that line. But, when matched to a quality rod casting, which is obviously the hardest part of the whole process, is soooo much easier to learn and get a feel for faster!

Depending on what you're going for, the reel can be as cheesy as you can imagine and still suffice. I tend to fish smaller stream trout and the occasional small pond bass. As such, my reel has always been little more than a line holder. Until the past few years, my reel didn't even have an actual drag system. (Just one of those cheap "clicker" deals.) That reel was like a tuna can with a spool in it and it worked just fine! It never once hindered what I did. (Remember, the reel isn't even used in the casting process and if you're not fighting any larger fish it really doesn't come into play there either. Pan fish can pretty much be played and landed by hand.) My only reason for the upgrade was actually because the new/better reel was given to me.

Get yourself a decent knot book from the fly fishing section along with a "nail knot tool". (Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, Mom & Pop shop... wherever. Pick up a leader straightener too while there. LOL) There are a lot of connections between the fly line, leader, tippet and fly. Learning how to best tie them all is important.

It's really quite enjoyable. I don't get into the whole thought process of it being a more "refined" way to fish. I just like that it adds more of a challenge. It's extremely satisfying to catch a fish on a fly. Have fun!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

No advice except practice, practice, practice. I've been wanting to give it a try myself since we have some excellent Rainbow and Brown Trout fishing here.

#5 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:30 AM

I put a shallow pan in the yard & could get the end of the line in the pan at leat 5 times in a row - not too bad for only the second day. I am using an old set up of my husbands (hasn't been used in 10+years). Gear is on order but we went out on the boat for bream Sat evening. Had a great time - I could get it where I wanted & had a few strikes - some even followed it for a while - I tried to twitch it but they just wouldn't commit. Sure was a lot of fun though!!!

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:00 AM

Fun is the key word - if you ain't having fun at it why do it -- right. That's cool Vicki that you're dropping it in the spot. It's like riding a bike - you know the rest. Hope you catch all you want and then some.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:08 AM

We spent a day on the river this weekend - it is a little tricky not to end up in the trees but I didn't lose a fly. We caught a few fish - some were pretty good size! I tried a dry fly and one that sinks with a spinner on it - got fish both times. They cast different & the fish hit them different so it was interesting to learn both. We had a great time - I think we have found something to fill in the time between hunting season!!!!!

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Good for you Vickie. I'm glad you are having fun. You ever visit Branson I'll show you a spot to catch some trophy Rainbow and Brown Trout. It's a fly only area and some really awesome fishing there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users