6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Been seeing the comercials for IMR's White Hots. I looked them up on line and am kinda interested in trying them. I'm wondering if they are as good as they claim?

I read this review on Buckmasters site;

Two 50-grain pellets yielded shots above 1,800 fps using 240-grain saboted projectiles. Three 50-grain pellets achieved over 2,000 fps with a variety of 240- through 290-grain saboted projectiles.

White Hots are easy to load and leave behind little residue, which makes for easy cleaning. After more than 10 rounds, I swabbed my rifle bore spotlessly clean with three wet patches and one dry patch.

White Hots are intended for .50 caliber inline muzzleloaders using any 209 shotshell primer ignition system. A new portable hunt pack allows loads to be taken to the field packed in transparent tubes for easy access and minimal contamination.

I took two muzzleloaders on this hunt. Both were pre-sighted with two pellet charges of Triple 7 Magnum propellant. My Traditions Guide Gun, shooting 300-grain APB sabots, placed three rounds literally on top of each other from 50 yards away using two White Hot charges.

My Knight Excel clover-leafed three 435-grain White Power Star projectiles with the same charge. Shot to shot consistency of White Hots powder is simply superior.

The real appeal of IMR's White Hots is the excellent consistency from shot to shot that I witnessed from all the muzzleloaders we used. I don't remember any propellant producing such uniform groups from such a wide variety of rifles and projectiles.

The main thing that has me interested in them is that they are supose to be really clean burning, just a water wet patch between shots all that's needed and their consistant accuracy. Anyways, I'd love to hear if anyone has given them a try and how well they either liked or didn't like them.

Edited by Spirithawk, 22 June 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Cabelas white Hots

Hadn't heard much about these but they do sound like a product worth looking into for the coming season. Anyone test this stuff yet? There is an interesting review down below on Cabelas that gives some of a test done with these White Hots.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 June 2009 - 03:21 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

Thanks Rowdy. So far, from all I've read, they do seem promising. Posted Image Kinda wondering what kind of pressure they put on the barrel though. Even though most rifles are rated for 150 gr these days that 150 gr load varies an awful lot from one brand of pellets to the next. Gotta wonder just how safe they are. Think I'll try them eventualy, but even though my Optima Pro has the magnum barrel, I think I'll stick to 100 gr loads though. I just hate to spend $30 on a package to find out I don't like them . lol From what I've read the T/C Shockwaves shoot well using them and that's the bullet I shoot. The guy at Buckmasters said the White Hots performed well on hogs.

Edited by Spirithawk, 22 June 2009 - 04:06 PM.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

I too have read a little and seen the commercial. I do not plan on trying them as none of my muzzleloaders use the 209 primer and I therefore stick with the powder form of propellent. It wonders me that there is not more publicity on a new product. It is almost like they want to keep the white pellets a secret.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 22 June 2009 - 06:01 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

I have not shot them or even looked into them too much. From what I have "heard" on forums.. their claims of velocity is a little stretched. But as I defended, all things do not shoot alike in different places. You have wind, temps, elevation, etc.. so I am not saying what they are or are not. Their claim to clean up with water is the same as Triple Seven, APP, Pinnacle, etc.. I think this is a product they are hoping will compete with Black Mag, Black Horn 209, and Triple Seven. Still it would be fun to shoot off a box of them and see what happens.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

Their claim to clean up with water is the same as Triple Seven, APP, Pinnacle, etc..

Agreed. I've tried three different pellets and they all cleaned up very easily while swabbing between shots. So I'm not too intrigued by "easy clean up" claims anymore.

I've seen enough of their commercials on TV to have me somewhat interested. I'd like to see/hear a few more field reports before I spend my money on trying them though.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

One of their claims, if true, does interest me though. That's the claim that you can imediately reload without having to swab first. However, I never had too many problems doing so using Pioneer FF. Realy only once and it was pretty cold out. I'm not in any hurry to, but when I run out of the Pyrodex and Triple 7 that I already have, I may buy a pack of them. Heck you never know untill you try. Might end up liking them. One of my main concerns is finding the powder that burns the most efficiently without leaving a gummy residue of unburned powder. Pyrodex is bad about that. 777 is a bit better but not a lot. The Pioneer FF that Paul gave me seemed to burn the best of all and the easiest to clean by far. When using it it only took me three or four patches to have a spotless barrel. Jason's rifle, using Pyrodex pellets, took as many as 20 patches to get it clean. I want to get away from loose powder though as it seems only logical to me that with pellets you'd be shooting the same exact charge each time. In theory anyways. LOL

Edited by Spirithawk, 23 June 2009 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users