• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Just a few minutes ago I watched 5 nice looking birds going to roost across the valley from my house. I have seen them now enough to say I got em patterned I may go over and look at them closer than a mile away to see if they are all toms as they appear through the spotting scope. Is it October yet?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

Just a few minutes ago I watched 5 nice looking birds going to roost across the valley from my house. I have seen them now enough to say I got em patterned I may go over and look at them closer than a mile away to see if they are all toms as they appear through the spotting scope. Is it October yet?

You're reading my mind Paul. I know the ridge where a couple nice Toms are calling home. Already gave them names....Smoked and Fried. :)

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:29 AM

I've only done it once - 2006 - but, I have a little contest with myself called "The Hoosier Bow Slam". The HBS is taking both a spring and fall bird as well as both a buck and a doe all with the bow in one calendar year.

I'm set to give it another try this year by completing one of the hardest hurdles - the spring bird with the bow.

There's a good sized polt survival this year, so it appears there'll be plenty of big flocks to try and out manouver this fall. 1 October I'll be out there with my leaf suit and thermacell.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

I've only done it once - 2006 - but, I have a little contest with myself called "The Hoosier Bow Slam". The HBS is taking both a spring and fall bird as well as both a buck and a doe all with the bow in one calendar year.

I'm set to give it another try this year by completing one of the hardest hurdles - the spring bird with the bow.

There's a good sized polt survival this year, so it appears there'll be plenty of big flocks to try and out manouver this fall. 1 October I'll be out there with my leaf suit and thermacell.

Wishing you the best of luck on your quest. Sounds like a very worthwhile and satisfying one indeed. :)

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

A little before supper I took a walk out behind the house to check on the raspberries. They are not ready yet. When I got to where I could see into the hay field there were three turkeys out there and the farmer had only just finished baling about an hour before that. I just looked through the spotting scope and a big turkey worked its way up the fields across the valley. Man they are everywhere.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

A little before supper I took a walk out behind the house to check on the raspberries. They are not ready yet. When I got to where I could see into the hay field there were three turkeys out there and the farmer had only just finished baling about an hour before that. I just looked through the spotting scope and a big turkey worked its way up the fields across the valley. Man they are everywhere.

The rasberries or the turkeys? LOL Kinda gives you the itch don't it. I'm sure looking forward to the Fall season and cooler temps. I can get two turkeys on my Archery Tag too. That opens Sept. 15th. but the hunting doesn't get good till mid October. I'll still get out though as long as it's not too hot. :)

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Oops add five more to todays total less than 10 minutes ago I saw the five birds going up to roost. That is nine turkeys for today. Now I am getting the itch. Or maybe I never lost it.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 23 June 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well Paul, I think turkeys make bird brains out of us. lol Buttt, that's a good thing if you happen to be turkey hunters like us. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users