Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Posted Image

Jer has inspired me!

I'm down 18lbs today on my way to getting back under 200.

I plan to be in the best shape I can be before my August antelope hunt.

Check back once in a while and watch The Incredible Shrinking Man!!!
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

:bigthumb:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

I plan to be in the best shape I can be before my August antelope hunt.

Best of luck achieving it and staying there ought to be your next goal. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

You bet. You know, I lost 40 lbs about 10 years ago and kept it off for 7 years by playing basketball at lunch. But, I started breaking fingers and spraining ankles and had to stop. Before you know it I'm right back up there.

This time I'm running on the treadmill and walking at lunch and sometimes at dusk with the wife at home. Somehow I've got to learn to like running. I'm also thinking about getting a bicycle and having it set up properly to me - bikes are supposed to be a little more gentle on the joints. Plus, you don't get the "gerbil" effect.

I just crank up the old DVR and my hunting shows while running my brains out. The hunting shows help the time pass quickly while I suffer for the cause. LOL.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

Way to go!!! Weight is like any addiction - it is a daily struggle - some days you struggle more and some days you struggle less but each day you struggle. I use to think it was a burden when everyone else could eat things that I couldn't (well not and still button my pants) - Mom, Dad & brother all died at 42 - doctor told me recently that eathing healthy & exercise is probably the reason I haven't had to pick out a plot yet. My exercise program consists of doing "something" for atl east 30 minutes each day even if I just walk around the yard!

Keep up the good work!!!!

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

Way to go!!! Weight is like any addiction - it is a daily struggle - some days you struggle more and some days you struggle less but each day you struggle. I use to think it was a burden when everyone else could eat things that I couldn't (well not and still button my pants) - Mom, Dad & brother all died at 42 - doctor told me recently that eathing healthy & exercise is probably the reason I haven't had to pick out a plot yet. My exercise program consists of doing "something" for atl east 30 minutes each day even if I just walk around the yard!

Keep up the good work!!!!

Thanks so much!

To lose the weight I'm consuming less than 1000 calories per day and run two miles and walk another two or more.

Once I obtain the weight I want I'll eat more, but the exercise is here to stay - has to.

I'm so sorry to hear about your family - it's a whole different thing when your immediate health is at risk. I'm hoping I'll be able to drop my BP meds. That would be a wonderful blessing.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

You should get a medical checkup. I put that off for 3 or 4 years despite some rather obvious symptoms and the most prevelant of which was inability to lose weight. Turned out my thyroid had quit working. Several months after getting on synthetic thyroid meds I started feeling much better and was able to lose weight. This all happened in 1998 and I initially lost 30 lbs and since have stabilized my weight 40 lbs less than the 198 I started at. Of course I used to live to eat now I eat to live. The good book says all things in moderation. I have come to believe that wholeheartedly. I can still have a piece of cake just not a half a cake. Good luck on your preparations for this hunt.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

I get an annual checkup, just about due too - my BP meds are running out. That's a good point though.

Fortunately, I'm dropping weight like gang busters. My intake is around 1000 calories/day and I'm running and walking my butt off. My BP's never been better - hopeing I may be able to drop the meds, what a blessing that would be.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

I go to heart rehab 3 times a week. I ride the bike, use the stair step machine, lift weights, do stretching exercises and walk laps around the track equalling 2 miles. That helps a lot and I wear a heart monitor during it all. That way I know if I'm over doing things which I have a habit of it seems. The nurses don't let me get away with that. lol The doctors told me though that hunting is very good for me as long as I use my brain and don't push myself too hard. In fact they recomend it and often love to hear of how my hunts went. It's cool my primary care doc is a hunter and gun enthusiast too. Jason has often has commented that I seem to be doing my best, health wise, during hunting seasons. Getting out with him, my favorite hunting buddy, breathing fresh air, walking for miles sometimes, and just the stress relief does wonders for body and soul. I made up my mind long ago that you'll have to nail me in my coffin to keep me out of the woods. lol A person realy needs to be well informed of their own health. For instance what's good for my heart is bad for my lungs and visa versa. I have to find the thin line between the two. Our bodies is the one tool we need for outdoor adventures that we all too often over look and take for granted. Hunts are much more enjoyable if you ready your body as well as your gear.

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 June 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:30 AM

I've been off my BP meds now five days and my BP this morning was 117/80. I've contacted my doctor and told her what I'm doing and will be forwarding my data to her office once per week. She says if my BP stays in the normal range and I do not change my exercise routine that I may not have to return to meds - we'll see. She want's me to come see her though - sigh.

Anyway, as of this morning I'm down 21.2 lbs and well on track to be at my third goal a month before the pronghorn hunt. I feel great, lots of energy, and my bow shooting is improving too.

#11 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:45 AM

Posted Image

As of 1 month I'm down 22lbs. Still rolling.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hip Hip Hooray.

#13 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

I hate to make any recommendations regarding this type of stuff as there's a lot of fads that are sworn by but, you may want to check out the book in coopertion with Men's Health titled The Abs Diet. There's nothing bizarre in it and it has very useful and interesting information... and I'll leave it at that. Best of luck.
Posted Image

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

I'm working on those abs - they're under there some place. LOL.

You know, for most healthy typical folks, like myself, unless the laws of physics have been revoked losing weight is a relatively easy-to-understand concept - decrease the intake and increase the burn rate; in other words push back the plate and get your butt busy exercising.

I'm 11 days into stopping my BP meds and I still have near perfect BP (122/80 today). I've even stopped my acid reflux medicine (5 days now) and still have no heartburn. I'm loving the fact I'm off all meds, feel better than I have in 3 years and only about half way to my ultimate goal weight. My doctor says keep tracking and let her know if there's a change. She wants to see me though. Knew that was coming.

My basic program begins with a banana and multi-vitamin for breakfast, brisk 3.2 mile walk before lunch, 6" subway sandwich for lunch (approximately 400-600 calories) with all the vegies, run 2.25 miles on the treadmill when I get home from work, fruit and soup for supper (less than 400 calories), then a 2-mile walk with the wife before showering and turning in for the night. On the weekends I walk 2 miles a day and run on the treadmill if I feel like it. Three times a week I've added light dumb bell weights to maintain muscle tone and, of course, lots of bow shooting.

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Wow sounds like you have a handle on your weight loss. I don't care what diet you use you are absolutely correct you have to burn more than you eat. Glad to hear of your good news on your meds too. That is a real bonus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users