4 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Performance Archery I saw this the other day and have watched several of these videos. Some very are extremely full of professional advice for the archery enthusiast or great reminders on technique on shooting a several types of bows. I hope you find it worth saving it on your favorite sites.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I was checking that out the other day too.

I'm not sure that I agree with everything he says, but he's got a system.

Couple of the issues I have...
His grip of choice. It looked like a wide ("fat") high wrist. It looks like that might be a European thing. (Not sure.) But, I know for me the slimmer and lower the grip the better I shoot.

The other one that I'm not sure I can get behind is his apparent dislike for using back muscles and/or a push/pull method for firing the bow. I didn't come across any video on how he suggests actually triggering the release and that scares me. He is correct that if you move one shoulder the other is going to move too. But, as long as you're doing the same thing every time it will still be repeatable and accurate. (OVER-pushing the bow does cause the bow shoulder to raise and the shot will drop. He's right. But, with practice there is no reason the shoulder needs to rise up with some push.) The reason all of this matters is because shooting with the typical "back tension" method takes the thought process out of triggering the release. (Which actively thinking about triggering the release leads to target panic, freezing, "gold fever", all kinds of problems far worse than possibly dropping a shot once in a while!)

I think I just need to see a bit more (especially on triggering the release) before I can give a real opinion.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

One reason I thought this was a good referral learning site was fairly simple, you don't have to buy a DVD to get some rather basic coaching. Coaching in its direct form really gets you thinking about how you shoot your bow. I have spent a few bucks buying dvd's to pickup some thoughts from some pros about some of these same topics. Some I learn from that's for sure and this guy I have picked up a point or two and he's reminded me of others. One like you were referring to was the surprise release instead of forcing the shot by concentrating on the release instead of the target. His way was the British way most probably but the point was made, still good stuff. Posted Image

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

Oh, most assuredly. I'm not trying to knock the guy either if that's how it came across.
I shot a bow as a "squeeze the trigger" guy for a lot of years and did well.
(Until the anticipation crept in and then it was all downhill.)
Simple point being, as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Most of these techniques ("surprise release") were developed to help those with a problem.
If someone has never "punched" a trigger, then there's no real need to worry about it.
Alistair has his method well honed. As long as it's helping people that's all that really matters in the end.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

No no Jeremiah - I was not going there about your comment I just felt I should qualify why I said it full of some free coaching advice. Like any professional level stuff each pro has his or her way to get the job done and the more pros you listen too the more you'll pick some very good advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users