• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

I wanted to shoot today. It was sunny, no wind, some bug juice handles that problem, but it was hot...

Posted Image

Being determined, I took out a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkin flintlock. This flintlock has a German agate in the jaws, and all kidding aside I bet I have over forty shots off this thing and there is very little wear and chipping yet. Never a misfire all day, but I did have one dangerous hangfire.

Posted Image

This rifle is a powder pig. I loaded 100 grains of 2f Graf's & Sons black powder, moosemilked a pillow tick cotton strip, and used cast roundball. The first shot on a clean dry barrel was encouraging to say the least. The target was only at 30 yards, so I expected this much. My hold is that black diamond resting on top of the front sight, buried into the buckhorn sight.

Posted Image

I was surprised the rifle was not fouling out. I did swab once. And for some reason got a dangerous hangfire. I actually pulled the trigger, raised my head, then heard the fizzle of the pan when it went off. Guess which one that was.

I wanted to see how the rifle acted on a hot barrel. I was loading and shooting very quickly. Like I said the rifle was not fouling out, but it was turning orange in the pan from the powder burns. And I learned that when your shooting this fast, and loading and such, that barrel can burn your hand. I mean to tell you, it was hot.

Over all for as hot as it was, as hot as I got that barrel, and I lost count of how many shots I fired.. (I had to go into the house for another strip of pillow tick and that is when I decided to swab the bore with Windex)... the gun did real well. With that kind of powder charge, I would hate to have that ball shot at me. No idea what the velocity would be in that kind of heat.

Also one thermometer said, 100 degrees but the other only read 93 degrees. But MAN!! it was hot. Thank goodness winter will be here soon.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

That is some HOT shooting. With those temps I'll bet your snow has all melted up there. What were you using as pan powder that it turned orange.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

I was shooting Goex 4f as pan powder. It would turn that pan the most nice shade of orange. BUT it would wipe right back off. I also noted towards the end, there was a green residue near the muzzle, but I was using a damp patch to shoot. I would spritz the pillow tick good with liquid moose milk and then set the ball. I think it was cleaning the bore as I shot. Fouling was next to nothing, and the rifle cleaned right up with six patches with Birchwood Casey #77 on them.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hmm can't say I ever had the pan turn an oragne color. Man I have to get my flinter out and take some shots as soon as my back feels better. Seems I pulled a back muscle the other day. My local shop doesn't handle Graf powder they do sell Goex which is now $25.00 a pound and Swiss at $35.00 a pound. I have a couple of those German Agates but have not used them yet.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hmm can't say I ever had the pan turn an oragne color. Man I have to get my flinter out and take some shots as soon as my back feels better. Seems I pulled a back muscle the other day. My local shop doesn't handle Graf powder they do sell Goex which is now $25.00 a pound and Swiss at $35.00 a pound. I have a couple of those German Agates but have not used them yet.

Great shooting. Im taking mine out to the range today to sight it in. Im going to be installing a peep sight on my tc flint after Christmas. A little birdie told me what one of my wifes presents for me (dont tell my wife I know).

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

Great shooting. Im taking mine out to the range today to sight it in. Im going to be installing a peep sight on my tc flint after Christmas. A little birdie told me what one of my wifes presents for me (dont tell my wife I know).

WHOAAAAA Scott,
Last I remember the law states that in PA a flintlock must have open sights....peep sights aren't legal during the late season.Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 18 December 2009 - 04:35 PM.

Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Phil peep sight are permitted. Page 43 Right hand column Under Para Flintlock Muzzleloader Season last sentence. I believe it was approved last year.

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Phil peep sight are permitted. Page 43 Right hand column Under Para Flintlock Muzzleloader Season last sentence. I believe it was approved last year.

ahhh, I stand corrected !Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users