• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

Ok, say a guy has never hunted Elk before. He wants to hunt public land, on his own, no guide. A rifle or muzzleloader hunt. Any suggestions on where to go and any tips on how to go about it?

Pick Colorado because of the abundance of Over-the Counter elk tags. Get harvest data info from the state, Then match up the best area with where you can get tags. Check out Google Earth or Terra server to actually see the area you intend to hunt, along with other useful info like elevation, don't hunt high in a dry year unless there is still water available for the animals, an elk will drink as much as a cow does. Although the chances for success are small, be VERY prepared to deal with a dead animal, its a job for 2 guys{picture 4 dead deer side by side that need to be skinned, boned, bagged and hauled to a truck 1+ miles away}. Bring big coolers, lots and lots of water for drinking, cooking, washing etc. Rain, sleet, snow, heat, cold etc. 2 big tents are better than one. It used to be that ATVs could only operate on numbered trails- no off roading. be prepared for no campfires, possible fire restrictions. Camping at 7000 ft was a breeze, at 10,000 ft, getting to sleep at night was difficult. As there are likely to be others in the vicinity, you are just as apt to have others push elk to you, as you would be to spot them first. Moving very slow, and always vigilant, should not over tax your lungs. I have hunted near Meeker Co. and near Gypsum Co., had a blast in both places, saw elk too. The planing and preparation for the trip, the road trip itself, camping in the mountains, I highly recommend it. Cost of the licenses + gas, maybe a night or 2 of motels, you can bring most of your food from home frozen. If both of you hunt together, if possible, I suggest one get an elk tag and one get a mule deer tag. Locate meat processors in the area

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users