37 replies to this topic

#31 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

schockey would be one I could maybe stomach as he has make some real accomplishments in his life directly related to hunting. I expect is a a fine hunter with a good heart but facts of the matter are he is one of the highest priced guides in north america.

The took the opportunity for an average Joe to ever hunt with him. 6-9 grand for a black bear and 15 K for a moose ??? Those are hunting with a celebrity prices. At that price i will stick with hunting with those who I trust and enjoy being around not who I can afford to.

tiny

Edited by bonecollector34, 21 July 2009 - 07:40 AM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#32 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

schockey would be one I could maybe stomach as he has make some real accomplishments in his life directly related to hunting. I expect is a a fine hunter with a good heart but facts of the matter are he is one of the highest priced guides in north america.

The took the opportunity for an average Joe to ever hunt with him. 6-9 grand for a black bear and 15 K for a moose ??? Those are hunting with a celebrity prices. At that price i will stick with hunting with those who I trust and enjoy being around not who I can afford to.

tiny

CHA-CHING is what I hear when I hear someone mention Jim Shockey's Outfitting. Tiny is right on the button, he's stickily for those guys who want to spend the big bucks to hunt. I get his email newsletter and he's double and triple over some other similar hunts offered by outfitters. His show I watch but he's way out of my wallets' league.

And more and more the other shows are using outfitter's that are so darn expensive it's crazy. Plus they don't tell you the special treatment they (the show host) receive from the outfitter because they are a nationally televised show or celeb status and it will be aired on the show and sold on DVDs. That has some fantastic power in way of advertising for the outfitter.

And I'm totally sure most of these show hosts are fantastic people in real life but their shows aren't totally real conditions that you or I might experience because we aren't a so called celeb like Shockey or Waddell or Watson. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#33 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:21 AM

I see you guy's point and yeah I have to agree. I was just thinking more along the lines of "IF" you were able to hunt with one of them, no cameras or money involved. You have to remember that even guys like Fred Bear still fall into the catagory you are describing. Price of being a celeb and remember, it is we who make them celebs. They wouldn't have that status if nobody paid them any attention. As far as Shockey being the highest priced guide, you get what you pay for, same as with any thing else. You can argue that there are many lower priced guides that are just as good, and you'd probably be right, but he is the first and only hunter in the world to complete the "NORTH AMERICAN SUPER SLAM" and "ULTIMATE SLAM" using only a muzzleloader. Plus he has training and exsperience few people have or ever achieve. That puts him in a catagory all by himself.

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 July 2009 - 11:23 AM.

#34 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I guess there's a difference in hunting with someone and paying for a guide. I've never had a paid guide. I've hunted with Will in Texas a couple times, but we were pretty much on our own.

I think there's a name for paying someone to spend time with you? Posted Image
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#35 hunter1963

hunter1963

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

I agree with bone on this my son and friends are the best hunting partners,

but if i had to choose it would be Chuck Adams and maybe Blake Shelton .

#36 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

I tried to hunt with DW, he stood me up-showed up late (owes me big time). I've talked to Waddell-he's a crack up. But honestly, I'll take Tony Balogna, Tiny,Whip, Frank, Phil, Mr. Rice, the Woodster, Woodhick, Paul, Paulie, Chris, Charlie(s), Jere, Bruce, Larry, Mel, Vickie, JJ, Casey, Tim, Jack (something about a man who shows up with a mutant ninja turtle strapped to his ATV), RL, Sheri, etc. anyday of the week! When I'm with ya'll, there's no BS degree involved. Just fun..no bright lights, no quitters! It's real! I would love to hunt with Rowdy, Norm, Geoff, Tom...and the list goes on. For me, everyone is a celeb!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#37 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

^^^

well said and I agree 100%

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#38 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Just for the fun of it I personally think hunting with Uncle Ted would be awesome.... watching his show you know he can't fake being that much of a crackup.....
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users