I Have Not Forgotten...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Ever hear the exp​ression, If it isn't one thing it's another."? Well, I don't tend to think that way often, but I've had hang up after hang up in getting some tuning vids put together. Finally, today was the day to film. That part went fairly well, actually. (It was more a matter of clearing the time on that one.) Unfortunately, after filming a good 40 minutes of footage I found that the camcorder DVI AND USB hook-ups no longer work for video capture into a computer. (Trust me, I tested it on two computers and even the firewire into my DVD recorder and none of them were able to pick up signal from the camera. :doh2: )

Long story short, I managed to capture the video to DVD via RCA cables. I will now rip that DVD to the computer so I can edit, voice over, convert to Flash format, and all of that happiness. I figure I should have something online this week.

First Up:
  • Center Serving (Back Served)
  • Tying a Nocking Point
  • Tying a D-Loop
Coming (Some Day):
  • Installing a Peep
  • Changing a String/Cable
  • Setting a Single Cam Bow to Factory Specification
  • Whatever Else I Can Think of and/or Requests

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

Keep at it bud. I know you'll come up with something awesome.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

Posted Image Jeremiah, Man, that's a lot of effort and work but it will be worth it. Many folks will learn a bunch from them. A thought came to mind Posted Image while reading your post and that's shooting without a peep.

I know I have read your comments on it but from a learning stand point I would think that would open up some thought provoking conversation on other important stuff like accuracy, form and anchoring consistency. Just my two cents.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

Jer, that's outstanding - not the problems you're having, but the project in general. Here are some suggestions (in addition to the awesome list you have going) coming from a guy that's trying to do more and more of his own stuff and not rely on the pro-shop quite so much:

Trad:

Setting the Brace Height
Silencing the bow
Making your own string jig and string
Selecting the proper shaft
Stripping and fletching your own feathers from turkey feathers
Multiple ways to fletch arrows
Cresting
Tuning the arrow to the bow

Compound:

Third axis leveling
Tuning the bow 101
Installing a fall-away rest
How to set up you're own bow working bench - the essentials
fletching carbon and aluminum arrows

If you get all that done, you should put it all on a DVD and sell it! I think that's a winning idea that would definitely sell.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:54 AM

Forgot - let me add a technical suggestion. I watched two or three different vids on the internet about string serving before I tried it and every one had the same problem - not close enough camera work on the intricate difficult-to-see and difficult-to-do parts. I've taught a little guitar and I have to force myself to slow WAY down, back up, go over difficult patches a few times - I've been the teacher and the student and it's important to slow way down and go over it a few times - your students will call you a genius!

Also, don't know if it's an option given your problems, but HD would sure be nice too. If you could do all this in HD and burn to Blue Ray - that puppy would SELL. If you have any $$$ aspirations, I think HD is the way to go.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Well, here we go... Click Here

No aspirations at all at this time other than to provide decent quality web video to HR members. :)

As to "getting close", I hope you will find the above satisfactory. I know that for most of the video the camera was on a tripod in between myself and the bow with the lens only a matter of a foot or so away from the bowstring.

sig_admin.png

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

Cool stuff Jer - nice.

The guy in my pro shop actually has a tool for stretching a D-Loop, sort of looks like a pair of pliers.

Very nice and easy to follow!

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Posted Image Man those came out great. Dialog was very well understood and visually very easy to see what you did. Now if I could only make these emoticons to work for me.Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

The guy in my pro shop actually has a tool for stretching a D-Loop, sort of looks like a pair of pliers.

Yeah, the Viper D-loop pliers? I had intended to buy a pair when they came out, but they were on backorder so long that first year I gave up. :( I hear they work really well for standard loops, but that the two "legs" may interfere with the knots if you tie your loop with nocks inside like I prefer.

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users