4 replies to this topic

#1 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

Now I'm not about to begin brand or model bashing, but there are a few gun manufacturers out there that have a few models which are low cost but also low quality. From all these lower priced rifles, probably the best overall manufacturer I've seen over the years in the sales end of the gun industry has been Savage. This was again recently reiterated to me after a buddy of mine recently bought a new (Savage) Stevens 200 (now discontinued, still readily available) in 308 Win. He paid $289 for it ordered in new. This is a Savage short action, without the accu-trigger in a regular sporter rifle with a dark grey synthetic stock that has an internal mag w/ no floorplate or release. He put a decent quality 4-16X scope on it to use for ground hogs this summer, and plans to get a higher end scope in the fall. Initially using Winchester, Remington, and Federal 150's he was getting around a 3 MOA at 100 yards... about what you'd expect for a rifle that's Sub-$300 when it's brand new. After about 100 rounds had been fired through it (and cleaning done rhythmically during that process) trying different ammo brands and weights, things got serious. We did some research online regarding the 308 caliber in a 1 in 10" twist, it's not that we discovered anything profound however we did pay particular attention to Sierra's data about 165 Boat Tails and the velocity of the most accurate load for that grain as they were using a 1 in 10" Savage for their testing. We settled on 4064 powder, and Hornady 168 A-Max as the bullet. We also used an old trick to measure the best overall case length of the chamber in that particular gun and found it to be almost 1/10 of an inch longer than the standard measurement. We backed off a little bit and left them 1/20" longer and proceeded to load 4 different sets of 5 rounds with different powder charges... it turns out, we found a load it likes and we now have that gun shooting a 5 shot .6" group at 100 yards. I think it would get even smaller if some trigger work was done, but he seems happy with the 6 lb.pull. At any rate, a lot of bang for your buck.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 28 June 2009 - 09:38 PM.

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:21 AM

I firmly believe that handloading for a particular rifle means a smaller group. With some rifles you may have to experiment with loads and bullet weights to find what that particular rifle likes. From the looks of it you guys hit this particular rifles sweet spot. Any rifle can be made to shoot its best with a little attention to detail providing there is nothing wrong with a rifle to start with. I also agree that a good trigger can reduce those groups too. I have read many posts that Savage has very good accuracy potential and this post only confirms this. I have read and seen some very expensive rifles that no matter what you did just did not perform very well.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:07 AM

Correction: 4 shot group at .6", had a .75" with 5.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

Any time someone can get sub moa at 100 out of a factory rifle without reworking it is a great day. The 308 has been known for its accuracy potential and was even used in 1000 yd competition a number of years ago. If he would get that trigger down to 3 or 3 1/2 pounds it would even be better. My dads savage 99 had a very stiff trigger and was not very accurate. I sent it to a good gunsmith and it came back with a 4 pound pull trigger and we could hit with it. Dad was all smiles. The gunsmith said the trigger pull was 11 pounds before he worked it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

I've long been a fan of Savage. I think they are highly underated. They make an excellent firearm at a reasonable price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users