7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:46 PM

I hunt with an Encore .270. I've taken Pronghorn and Whitetails with it so far. I really love both the rifle and the caliber and I'm wondering just what game the .270 can handle. I know shot placement is everything, no matter what caliber, but there are three species I'm going to do my best to hunt before I'm too old. Those are Mule Deer, Elk, and Black Bear. Would the 150 gr .270 cartridge get the job done cleanly? My Encore is a real tack driver and my all time favorite gun I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. It would sure be cool to add those three animals to it's harvest list. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 29 June 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

I would shoot anything on your list with that gun but understand for bear and elk it is on the light side.
Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

I would shoot anything on your list with that gun but understand for bear and elk it is on the light side.

Thanks Leo, that's about what I kinda figured. I have use of Jason's Ruger Mark II 7mm Mag but I just realy love hunting with my Encore. Of course I could always use wanting to hunt larger game as an excuse to get another barrel for it. Been kinda eyeing the 300 Mag, but may just give some various calibers some thought. Would be nice to add a good heavy caliber to our arsenal. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 29 June 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#4 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

If I had an encore I would do a barrel upgrade myself. If I were upgrading my choice would be a 300 ultra mag. Now on the other hand I trust my life with my 270 and I don't consider it on the light side being I have taken over 30 elk and countless deer and even helped with a moose. It's all about high percentage well placed shots. I'm not a proponent of high shoulder shots or having to break big bones. You don't have to hit big bone to hit the heart lung area. I'm a meat hunter so I don't care to ruin any more meat than necessary. Just think about it for a minute you don't want to hit big bone with an arrow so why would you with a gun.
Norm I'm not trying to talk you out of a bigger caliber gun it's just opinion so go for the lager caliber.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have owned a 270 as my primary rifle since the mid 70s. I would have no fears taking it with 150 gr bullets for any of the game you list. I would use a bonded core bullet on elk or bear but it has enough umph to do the job. Infact I went to 150 gr bullets loaded on the lighter side for deer. I seem to get a little less meat destruction with the 150 than I did with the 130s.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:47 PM

Your 270Win will cleanly take all the game you have mentioned as long as good high percentage shots are taken. If I were going to get another barrel for the Encore (270) i would go with a 300Winnie or a 338Winnie as these two will do everything you want and more. I am sure you are aware that even with bigger bullets at a higher velocity you still have to have good shot placement. No disrespect RobertR but I feel that the 300RUM is a bit much for most people and game. I do have one in a Sendero but I use it as a toy to play with at the range even though I did take a Whitetail deer with it I did not buy it for a hunting rifle. Spirithawk I would hope that you would get to shoot differant calibers to find one that suits you. I did not suggest the 30-06 because it is real close to the 270 except for heavier bullets or the 7mm Rem Mag because you have one you can use. I have always used 150gr Hornady Interlocks in my 270s. As PA Ridge Runner said I have a 150gr load for the 270 that is kind of mild and one person has taken a deer with the load and could have not had better terminal performance. This is a loaner gun and a semiauto so I don't wany full power loads in it. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. If you are going to use a switch barrel system then you should get at least six or seven barrels for it as every man knows you just can't have enough guns or barrels..

MR300WM
MR300WM

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

Don't worry about shooting an elk or black with the 270, Norm. I got full pass throughs with it with the 150 grain hornady. I also got pass through with the 130 grain silvertips. It will flatten a black bear like a bolt of lightening. Pete took his grizzly with a 150 grain out of the 270, as well. Don't feel undergunned. Jeff has used his 270 for years for moose, and hasn't lost one yet.

Edited by REDGREEN, 30 June 2009 - 06:52 AM.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

It's not that I really need another barrel, just looking for excuses to buy one. :) I'm a fairly good shot, and my Encore is a certified tack driver, so I've no doubt I can put shots in the heart or lungs on any game. I just like the idea of having a variety of calibers in the gun cabinet. Also, since my Encore will be handed down to Jason one day, I'd like to leave him with something really nice. I have both the walnut and the synthetic camo stocks for it and add a couple more barrels and it would sure make a very sweet package to pass on to son, then grandson. I'd like to have a 209 x 50, 12 ga. and another center fire barrel. I may not even go up, I may decide on a good varmint barrel instead. Just weighing my options at the moment. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users