18 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

I know many of you are like me in that you both own, and have owned, a number of firearms over the years. If you had to pick one of them as your all time favorite, what would it be and why? Mine would be my T/C Encore .270. The reasons why are; it holds a lot of fond memories of hunting with Dave Watson in Wyoming. It was part of my prize package and, by far the nicest thing I've ever won. I took my first, and only, Pronghorn with it. It carries and shoulders very well. It's dead on accurate and the caliber has a nice variety of bullet choices. It's cool I can change barrels to any centerfire or muzzleloader caliber plus any shotgun gage. It also has a wide variety of stock options. It can handle most anything I'm likely to ever hunt and I have the utmost confidence in it more than any other gun I've ever owned.

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

I don't know that it has the most practical use, but I have a Remington 1100 that holds a lot of sentimental value to me. I received it for xmas in 1967 from my dad, who passed away in 1984. I was 15 when I got it and pretty much cut my gunning teeth on it. I used to shoot NSSA with it, hunted ducks and geese, hungarian partridge, ruff grouse, woodcock, ducks, bunnies, and pretty much any kind'a small game moving. I've got three barrels for it, a 26" skeet, 28" modified and a 30" full choke. It's Remington's 150th anniversary model and has gold inlay on the receiver. It's only 2-3/4", but she's the one my dad gave me, so I hold it dear to me.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

oooh that is a tough one for me. It could be my winchester 1300 turkey gun or my Win model 70 in 270 or it could be my 7mm T&R mag which was totally built from the model 70 action by a gunsmithing firm. It is one of a few that I have that were custom built rifles. To narrow it down any more than those three would be impossible.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:56 AM

I love my #1's Posted Image

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

hmmmm only one :)

well the best choice I feel i've made in large cal was my Browning A bolt 300 win mag.

pistol would have to be my S&W 44 mag 629... but my S&W 40 MP is a close second :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Sorry man, can't pick just one. I love my Kimber but that Model 70 always catches my eye and makes me smile when I walk in the man cave. And the Hawkin .54 hanging on the wall in the living room that derfman helped my buy gives me the warm fuzzys whenever I lay eyes on it. Then of course there is the old Springfield .22 that I learned to shoot on that belonged to my grammpa. Sorry, just can't pick only one.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#7 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

My favorite would have to be my Tikka .270 with a Burris 4-16x50mm scope on it. It was my cousin's gun until he passed away in a car wreck and my uncle gave it to me. Just mostly sentimental value I guess. Another gun I love is my grandmother's Winchester .22 pump action with the tubular magazine. I learned to shoot with that old gun, just too bad it isn't mine. :(
BrandonT

#8 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

All of my toys are my favorite. My little .38 special that I carry concealed would be jelous if I didn't count it favorite, but truth be known all 17 firearms that I own carry something special about them. Especially the fact that they all go to my Grandsons as an inheratancePosted Image

Steve

#9 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Can't believe my old man didn't post about his '06 that use to be my favorite until I got my own reworked Mauser in 30-06. In 2004 I bought a used Kimber of Oregon 98 Sporter in 30-06 for $350 and put a $350 3-10X40 Weaver Grand Slam on it that I paid $150 through a vendor program working at an outdoor store. Shot an 8-point that year, another one the following year, another one last year (@ 325yds), and pegged a groundhog at 407yds this spring. I think I have a keeper. Could use a nice AA claro walnut stock though.

Kimber bought a bunch of model 98 and VZ24 Mauser actions in crates by the pound from Europe. They reworked the actions and installed steel scope bases, put their match grade SS, fluted barrels on them, and a solid synthetic stock.
Posted Image

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

My grandfather's old Ithaca 37 - the meat on the table gun - and his A-5 Belgium Browning 12 gauge - too pretty to shoot. I love to look at those guns, clean them and think about the man that loved those guns - my papaw - my hero.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#11 rbduck

rbduck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

Seems lately I have been leaving my Remmy 700 in 06 of 25yrs at home and using my Stevens 200 in 243. This one shoots like a dream. I`ve been using it the last few years on everything from gophers to deer. Shot gophers with it at 200yds, jack rabbits up to 300yds, and deer at just under 400yds all using the same bullet. Scope is a Tasco 2.5X10X40mm, Millet rings and Weaver base. Other than that I swear by my 870 which I have been using for over 40 years.

RonPosted Image
Quail is the virgin
Duck is the mature woman
.....Iron Chef

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

Seems lately I have been leaving my Remmy 700 in 06 of 25yrs at home and using my Stevens 200 in 243. This one shoots like a dream. I`ve been using it the last few years on everything from gophers to deer. Shot gophers with it at 200yds, jack rabbits up to 300yds, and deer at just under 400yds all using the same bullet. Scope is a Tasco 2.5X10X40mm, Millet rings and Weaver base. Other than that I swear by my 870 which I have been using for over 40 years.

RonPosted Image

What grain bullet are you shooting in your .243? We now have two and are leaning towards the 100 gr. for deer.

#13 rbduck

rbduck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

What grain bullet are you shooting in your .243? We now have two and are leaning towards the 100 gr. for deer.

I use 90gr, Remnigton SP bullets over 414 powder. This combo works great in my Stevens.

Ron
Quail is the virgin
Duck is the mature woman
.....Iron Chef

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

I use 90gr, Remnigton SP bullets over 414 powder. This combo works great in my Stevens.

Ron

Thanks bud. Jason is really excited about using his new Optima Elite this deer season. We don't have a lot of exsperience hunting with a .243 so soaking up all the info we can.

#15 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

My favorite can be seen in the elk hunting forum under "Just a Wishing" post.
Golden Arms "1946 Santa Fe" model built around a 98 german Mauser action. cal. 30-06 ,barrel's been glass bedded, scope is a Bushnell Elite 3x9x40mm ....it just feels right!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users