7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

Well, I'm happy now. Posted Image I no longer have to look at that cheap, scratched up, aluminum, poor exscuse for a ram rod that came with my new Optima Pro. I went to Bass Pro in Springfield and bought a CVA Universal Trophy Ramrod which I cut to 25" to fit under my barrel. That will do just fine for loading the rifle. It's also garaunteed unbreakable. To solve the cleaning problem I ordered a polymer coated steel extended jag from Thompson Center. It is a bit over 4" long so it more than makes up for the 3" I needed. They make a solid brass one too but everything I read said they are bad about breaking where the threaded part meets the base of the jag. This jag, being steel and coated with polymer should be both a lot stronger and more bore friendly too. What's funny is that by ordering it from Thompson Center I saved over $5.00 off what it would have cost ordering it from Bass Pro. (They didn't have one in stock at the store.) The lady at Thompson Center asked me why I didn't order from Bass Pro, or Cabelas, and was really shocked when I told her how much they charged for one. Just shows how much these stores mark stuff up. Pays to shop around. lol

Edited by Spirithawk, 01 July 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

Congrats on finding a ramrod. I use a solid aluminum rod with a tee handle as a range rod. I am not concerned about scratching a steel bore with an aluminum rod. Since about 98% of my shots are at the range I seldom use the ramrod on the rifle. When I do I have drilled a hole into my short starter about 1/4 - 3/8 inch deep that just fits my ramrod to assist pushing the ramrod down rather than using my hand. Since I always carry my short starter in the field I am ready to reload anywhere. I know that your problem was with length and I did not find a fix for that for you. Glad to hear you got it fixed.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Paul. I'm tickled pink. With the ramrod slipped under the barrel it's 25" which is just long enough to push a bullet down on top of a 100gr charge. ( I use my short starter as a palm saver too. It came with the hole already in it. Posted Image ) My problem was, the old aluminum ramrod had an extention that screwed out giving the extra length needed to run a cheaning patch down the bore. Without that extra length a 25" rod drops completely into the 29" barrel out of reach. I couldn't find a synthetic ramrod that had the feature of a screw out extention, though CVA sent one to Jason for his Optima 209. The Best CVA could do for the Optima Pro would have been to sell me a solid aluminum one. I wasn't worried about scratching the bore, I just didn't like leaving traces of aluminum in it every time I used the rod. The rod that came with the rifle was coated black and the scratches were both deep and shiny. Looked awful under the barrel. Like something you picked up out of a scrap pile. Jason bent his the first time he used it which is why he complained to CVA, exspecialy since the book said it came with a composit rod, and they sent him the replacement free. I have a very nice range rod but I wanted that extra length to be able to run a patch down the barrel between shots while in the field. I'll just carry this new T/C jag in a speed loader in my pocket. I also like it that the CVA Trophy Rod, is not only garaunteed not to break, but is also impervious to oils and chemicals. It also looks soooo much better under the barrel than that scratched up poor excuse of a rod that came with the rifle. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 02 July 2009 - 07:46 AM.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image
Old versus new. You can see how scratched up the aluminum rod got after just five uses. It's like that all the way down the full length. Worse in some spots.

Edited by Spirithawk, 02 July 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 872 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

My Remington Genesis is the same way. I decided one of these days, I am going to remove all the paint off it. Since the barrel on the rifle is stainless, then it will at least match. Although the little I use I, replacing it is kind of foolish as other then loading in the field for a second follow up shot, I doubt I would every pull it from the rifle..

That rod you got is a good one. You will like that a lot... And they will not break. I have them in some other rifles and have put them through a lot and never phased them yet.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

My Remington Genesis is the same way. I decided one of these days, I am going to remove all the paint off it. Since the barrel on the rifle is stainless, then it will at least match. Although the little I use I, replacing it is kind of foolish as other then loading in the field for a second follow up shot, I doubt I would every pull it from the rifle..

That rod you got is a good one. You will like that a lot... And they will not break. I have them in some other rifles and have put them through a lot and never phased them yet.

Cool bud. That's good to know. With the Thompson Center Polymer Extended Jag added to it I'll be able to run a wet patch down the bore between shots in the field. That was my biggest concern. I like the heft of the new rod too. Think it will really help when pushing a sabot down the bore. I did a lot of looking at rods on line and came to the conclusion that since this one is a CVA, and so is my rifle, they should match up well. Speaking of the extended jags, Traditions makes one but it is solid brass. So does T/C. Every single thing I've read, posted by folks who bought them, said the brass jags break where the threaded part meets the base of the jag. And they break almost right away, a real waste of money. That's why I opted for the steel, polymer coated jag and the price is about the same as the brass ones.

#7 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

Norm, how do you like that new CVA? I have the pro also and it is unbelievable the differance between my Knight and it. 200 yrd. shots are no longer a question. The pattern is tight.

Steve

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Norm, how do you like that new CVA? I have the pro also and it is unbelievable the differance between my Knight and it. 200 yrd. shots are no longer a question. The pattern is tight.

Steve

Cool Steve. I really haven't had a chance to shoot it much yet. It's just been too hot and humid to be outside. Jason has the optima 209 and loves it. He's now wanting an Optima Elite. I think I'll really like it. It will be much simpler to hunt with and clean than my Knight MK-85 was. With the Bergara barrel I'm exspecting good accuracy. I'm also happy to be using the 209 primer now too and is nice not to have to worry about it getting wet.

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 July 2009 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users