#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

I finally took out and looked at my bow tonight, after probably close to a year without shooting it and drew it back a couple times. I'm going to start shooting again now and can't really remember proper form. Could any one of the experts out there give me a few tips?

Now that I at least have a driving permit it might make it a little easier to get out this fall on the weekends. It was always hard to get out bowhunting beacuse my dad doesn't bowhunt and usually works weekends. I guess it was a lame excuse to not keep practiced up and proficient.

Any help would be great!

Eric
-Eric

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

Be glad to help you. Any specific questions I can help you with I'd be glad to assist you. Can you take a picture of yourself drawing your bow and holding it at full draw? That sometimes gets the topic off to a somewhat start. If you can move the camera around you so we can see the back side, the front or head on and your bow arm side.

Mainly what most folks are looking for is your draw length a proper length and that's a hard one for someone still growing cause you change from season to season till you hit your adult size. Most bows are not so easy to change draw length with out a pro shop to help you with it. The main thing in form is consistency and repeatability so your accuracy remains solid.

Another thing is real basic and that's with a good foundation and that's your foot placement. Your form starts at your feet and you want your feet about shoulders width apart. By laying an arrow down on the ground and pointing it toward the target should give your feet a reference point to start with by putting your toes against it. Your front foot toes(if your right handed your left foot is your front foot) should be slightly against the arrow on the ground. The back foot then should be over the arrow or slightly on it, where your heel on the back foot backs against it or a half step over the arrow. This is close to being an open stance and it helps you with your bow arm posture and keeping it out of the way of the string upon release.

Just a few quick ideas to share with you Run. I have not been shooting that long and I'm sure Jeremiah and some of the other great bowhunter on here should help out too. Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 07 July 2009 - 10:06 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Run if your bow still fits you proper in draw length and the poundage is ok then you just need to go back to the basics.
Assuming you are still a growing boy you may have to change your draw length if possible and probably your peep sight height so your not tilting your head. If no changes are necessary then you just need the basic mechanics like a solid anchor point a relaxed grip and to restore your muscle memory for your release. I know it sounds funny but start out ten yards or closer and get comfortably getting your shooting skills back, and then move up to five yards and do some blind bale shooting to work on muscle memory for your release.
First off pull your bow back with your eyes closed and see where your peep sight lines up with your head straight to see if you have to move it up and second when you pull your bow back does it come to a solid wall and you can't reach your anchor point.
If you have any problems after shooting tell up the problem.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

Pro instructional help

http://www.bowtube.com/media/472/A_Pro_Shares_how_To_Shoot_Your_Bow/

Run maybe this will help you too.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 08 July 2009 - 03:21 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the help. We've been having some nasty weather lately, but I'm looking forward to getting out again...
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users