Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

Record breaking archery shot

http://www.bowtube.com/media/513/Randy_Oitker_Sets_Guinness_World_Records/

And no vanes on his arrows, bare shafts and he appears to be 10 to 12 feet away, cool shooting.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 July 2009 - 08:47 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Record backing shot

http://www.bowtube.com/media/513/Randy_Oitker_Sets_Guinness_World_Records/

And no vanes on his arrows, bare shafts and he appears to be 10 to 12 feet away, cool shooting.

The distance is actually around 33ft (10 meters).

I was really excited for Randy because I know the Oitkers personally. They are good people. Randy Sr. (his dad) probably could hold the World Record for maximum number of jokes told in a single breath LOL! I remember Randy Jr. prepping for this six arrow shot and succeeding just a couple of days before he was supposed to shoot in the UK. Talk about being pumped! I can tell you, it still may not have gone smoothly. Not being able to practice it for hardly any time at all. Having to do it cold without any warm up. No time to shake off jetlag coupled with a probably practically sleepless night. Add to that the pressure of doing in front of an audience and a camera. It would be hard to put one arrow in the bullseye under those conditions. Let alone SIX!

I met Randy in Wyoming last year on a fundraiser hunt organized to help a friend hunter who was having some serious health issues. After I got my Antelope I was invited to tag along with Randy and his dad while he tried to connect on North America's fastest moving target on land. Randy recounted my hunt and several others there in National Bowhunter Magazine. I was honored.

Here's Randy Jr., Randy Sr. and now retired Antelope Guide Steve Beilgard. Coming back to the truck after one of several hard stalks I watched them attempt. These guys would just go go go!

Posted Image

Every night we relived the days events, past hunts and I tried my best to be at least a little entertaining on the guitar Steve's son in law was gracious enough to lend me for the trip. I'm pretty sure I at least got a couple of laughs. Mike, one of the other bowhunters on this trip came down from New Jersey to turkey hunt with me this spring. Kathleen who had opened her home to us in Alaska that summer was also down for the hunt. And Steve Kane who the whole hunt was to benefit, finally sat on a front porch together, smoking a cigar, face to face for the first time after almost six years of only corresponding online. I made a lot of new friends. Finally put some faces with some names. I had a great time and would gladly share the hunting camp with these fine individuals again. I came home with more than just a great antelope.

I still hear from them all occasionally. And surprise, Mrs. Oitker, whom I've never met, sends me an email every now and then, to let me know what Randy's up to. I really appreciate that! Bless her heart!

Both my nephews have personally autographed Randy Oitker Muzzy hats. I gave these to them for Christmas and then had them watch Randy on Youtube. They are fans now! Uncle Leo hunted with him! They all tell their friends. Makes it even sweeter. In spite of this fame, Randy is still a hard working farmer that happens to be a great hunter and a world class archer all at the same time. Randy is exactly the type guy I want my nephews to admire and try to be like.

Once again. With extreme emphasis, Congrats Randy Oitker! You deserve it! Congrats to you my friend!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users