Photo

Arrow Rest For Compound Bowhunters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Arrow Rest For Compound Bowhunters (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Most have an opinion on what's best for his or her setup

1. Whisker Biscuit or the Ugly cookie (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Fixed arrow rest like a prong style (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Capturing or containing style fall away like rip cord or QAD (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. drop away rest like the Muzzy (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. Fall away like the Down Force or Limb driver (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. other and please explain what (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

This is usually a good time to see what everyone is getting ready to hunt with for the coming season. It something most folks have an opinion about because it effects the shot and your confidence in your shooting ability or accuracy.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

I always used felt and covered the shelf (recurve :D )... I suppose when I get either a Reezen or Drenalin hopefully later this month (provided a certain guitar sells on a certain online auction site) I'll look into Mathews rest or a Trophy Ridge... I have to do some research and pick Jeremiah's brain.
Posted Image

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

I have the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone on my bow. At first I didn't like the slight"click" it made when dropping away but Dave Rice added a couple small O-rings to the rest guide and it sure made all the difference.Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

I'm a firm believer in the Muzzy Zero Effect rest.

Two links drive the whole thing. You look up the model bow you have and Muzzy tells you which mounting hole to use on the riser link. Then you set the cable slide link length so that the rest doesn't drop until the arrow has actually traveled a few inches. My feeling is it's ideal when it's traveled as close to a third of the power stroke as possible. That might seem too long to some folks and with most other drop aways it is.

The Muzzy Zero Effect rest is tied mechanically to the position of the cable slide. Being tied to position means if the bow shoots faster the rest drops faster. This is not true with drop aways that tie into a single cable. On those rests the speed they actually drop after the slack is let out of the mechanism is dependent on the strength of the spring in the rest. The assumption a single cable driven rest is dropping at the same position observed during a controlled let down of the arrow is faulty if the bow is fast enough to out run the spring that is pushing the rest down. I bet you've heard folks complain their rest doesn't drop fast enough for their bow. A stronger rest spring usually helps but not always.

The biggest hang up I see folks having with the Muzzy is they by default (especially if they are used to single cable control dropaways) set it up to drop too fast and don't let it control the arrow long enough. You don't have to worry about the MZE not dropping fast enough. It's tied to the position of the cable slide it will move in the same position in the power stroke regardless of speed. If you get slack in a control cable dropaway on a really fast bow the rest is only gonna drop as fast as the spring can push it. Sometimes that's not fast enough.

The other common hang up is crossing the cables on the wrong side of the cable arm rod. On the wrong side the cables actually pinch the slide block. This causes the drop to stutter, wears the cables rapidly and puts vibration into the arrow. You'll really hate this rest if you do this. Ok, been there done that. It sucks! It's easy to do and hard to figure out. On some bows when you install the Muzzy Zero Effect the cables may need to cross below the cable arm rod, even though the bow may come from the factory with the cables crossing above the cable arm rod. Or vice versa.

This is Muzzy's chart for installing this rest on several popular bow manufactures. It tells which hole to use on the main arm (on the riser), which hole to put the rest hook in and whether to cross the cables above or below the cable arm rod. A lot of folks miss the last one. Like the guy that installed mine. It drove me nuts for a couple weeks until I sat down and decided to redo the whole installation process myself. The answer to my problem was in this magic chart.

Muzzy Zero Effect installation notes for several bow models
Posted Image

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

I started my compound shooting with a TM Hunter - prong type. It was fine for most close shots less than 25 yards or so, especially if you didn't shoot 3d and were only interested in shooting big game.

I've had the Muzzy Zero Effect and had no issues - fine rest.

I used the Mathews fall-away on my SB for the first two years I owned it and it worked fine, but I didn't like my arrow falling off the prongs sometimes. It didn't make any noise because I used the stick-on felt liberally, but it was just a pain sometimes.

For the last two years I've been using the whisker biscuit and have had no issues. My only complaint with the WB is the vanes come off sooner than they should in the life of a shaft and there's more variability past 40 yards than I like to see.

So, since I'm going out west on a pronghorn hunt in August I'm going back to a fall-away and am leaning toward the full capture QAD. I like the idea of being able to draw and let down with the arrow still up and I love full capture. After using the WB for two years i'm totally spoiled to 100% full capture.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

The concern I have with a drop away that fully contains the arrow has to be pre-cocked and only drops when the arrow is released is this scenario.

Say you're having an intense practice session. You're getting pretty tired but decide to shoot one more anyhow. Because you're tired you punch the release accidently at 3/4 draw. :eek:

I know I've done it, more times than I can count. Since, I often shoot until I'm completely worn out, I concentrate on drawing with the bow on target 100% of the time, that way a prematurely released arrow usually catches part of the target. At that point, I'm like OK. I'm done for the day. With the above style rest, because it senses speed, I'd be pretty concerned it wouldn't drop and the fletching contact would cause some serious damage. If you were using arrows with FOBs or Turbonocks it might be down right dangerous. I sure don't want one of those bouncing off the rest and smacking me in the face!

Perhaps that's a groundless concern but it does worry me. I'd hate to fly somewhere to hunt. Jet lagged and tired, check the sights on my bow and blow my rest to pieces.

So if anyone found out by accident what would happen on a 3/4 draw arrow release on one of those rests, let me know! I'm absolutely not gonna suggest anyone test it!!!

In truth no arrow rest is completely immune from disaster. I was on a hunt with a guy that crushed his essentially foolproof Whisker Biscuit practicing in between hunts. The strap on his release let loose and the bow sent the release right through the biscuit! The results weren't pretty and he's lucky he didn't get hurt. I mentioned before I dislike velcro wrist straps. This situation cinched my opinion. Luckily for him it was the last day of the hunt, because at that point he was finished.
Posted Image

#7 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Leo I agree with the fall aways that have to be cocked other than the Rip Cord that contains the arrow. The Rip Cord arrow rest can be cocked or raised when the bow is drawn and it releases when the bow is pulled to full draw after being cocked.
I have had a Trophy Taker fall away rest about ten years and it has performed flawless. It almost has to stiff of a return spring but it makes it fall fast.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users