22 replies to this topic

#1 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Went to a dealer today and shot the Reezen, Drenalin, and Monster. Come to think of it, they also had the DXT and some others there that I might as well tried. But I'm likely going with the Reezen anyway (my favorite of the 3). The Monster was just that... might as well been a Star Wars blaster... but I couldn't keep a group near as well as what I could with the Reezen. Obviously I think the Reezen's a little more forgiving for a guy that's primarily shot a recurve over the past 10 years. I think the Reezen is the real deal. They had about 10-12 Reezen's in in both 6.5 & 7" brace heights. 6-8 Monsters on hand, as 10-12 of most other models as well. It's a husband and wife dealer, which the Mrs. really took some time with my Mrs. and setup a Mathews-Mission Menace for her to shoot which she now wants. (This from a Long Isle. native who never touched a compound until today.) What really helped is that my wife is right handed but left eye dominant (weirdy) BUT... so was she! It made my life much easier today.

I'm working with this dealer a little later this month to do a podcast piece on getting setup with a Reezen as a sub-story into a (hopefully) successful archery hunt later this season.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 14 July 2009 - 04:19 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

My wife is right handed and left eye dominant too!!!

She struggles with it. What have you done to help the problem?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#3 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:31 AM

See-through scope mounts so she can use her left eye shooting right handed... I don't really get it either, and it can (secretly) get really frustrating trying to instruct that...

They recommended she shoot southpaw in order to utilize a peep and get anchored properly, the menace they had as a demo was right-handed so she shot right-handed with no peep at 7 yards with it set at 25lbs. (It sank them a whooping 4" into the industrial sized 'block' target. ^_^ ) If she ever wants to bow hunt in PA she'll need to increase that to 35lbs (PA has no restrictions on let-off) I'd like to see her get to 45 lbs, but that might be unrealistic for a woman... I'm not really sure. I think I was pulling 40-45lbs at age 12 so it might be legitimate.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 15 July 2009 - 06:32 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

Congrats on the Reezen. I shot one last January and it was very smooth shooting for me. If you go out on Mathews forum web site there are several folks that shoot them sharing ideas about how to tune them. I own the drenalin and it was so close of the same bow to me that I was not interested in it.

Yeah I own the Monster and it is something else, it's in it's own world right now compared to the other Mathews bows and it is a challenge to shoot because of the short brace height. It will show up any form problems I'm having immediately. It's not for everyone and sometimes I wonder how I ended up with it. Posted Image

I bet the little Mrs will be up to that 45# in a year if she puts her mind to it. Most of the left eye dominate folks that are right handed do end up shooting left handed and they are fairly good at it. I hunt with one guy that has it and does well.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

Marilyn won't even talk to me about going south paw. Right now I have her achieving target acquisition with both eyes open and closing her left eye to aim and shoot. Doesn't always work. I've heard that red dot has a bow sight and it can be shot without interferance with either eye. don't understand it, and not sure it's true yet either.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:21 AM

Actually I'm a reverse of the situation, I'm left handed and right eye dominate and shoot right handed. So I know it can be done. It might seem difficult by introducing righty all their life to a left handed shooting but the brain really controls it all by the dominate eye. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

I too am right handed but left eye dominant. When I first started shooting I could not draw a hunting bow lefty and besides there were not many left handed bows so I shot instinctively right handed. There werent many sights you could mount on your bow either. I recall the first bow sight I used was a piece of adhesive tape and several colored headed straight pins. When I shot instinctively I had to compensate at each yardage by holding off the bull. When I did switch to a sight and string peep I used a cover over my left eye to force my right eye to look. Now after years of shooting I believe I can look from either eye if I concentrate just a little. With a rifle and with my crossbow I shoot mostly lefty but can and have shot game from both shoulders.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

Of all the Mathews bows on the market, the SW has the highest brace height at 9". Dren, Conquest, Hyperlite & Reezen 7 all have a brace height of 7". The Monster has a brace height of 6" with the XLR8 model sporting only 5". The SB IBO is 295, where the Dren, Conquest, Hyperlite & Reezen 7 are 315, 320, 325, 335 respectively; Monster models are 353 and 360 respectively.

So, you can see why I shoot the Switchback since brace height equates to forgiveness. I shoot the 80% let-off so I can hold a long time, the bow’s heavy enough to be pretty stable, not blistering hot fast, but then I seldom ever shoot over 20 yards – very forgiving, stable, quiet, midwest killer.
Now, if you’re looking for speed, no question the Monster’s going to produce, but I worry that a brace of 6" or even 5" may be too short for long distances. I may be tempted to go with the Reezen 7 even though you may give up potentially up to 25fps IBO (not much really unless you're obsessed with speed).

My two Lincolns.

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:00 AM

Fun With Math!!!

Let's do a little physics, just for the fun of it. To get an idea how this all plays out in the field, we can compare initial arrow speed to maximum arrow drop at differing distances:

Initial Speed Drop at 20 Drop at 40 Drop at 60

290 4.25" 17.01" 38.28"
315 3.54" 14.19" 31.92"
335 2.98" 11.91" 26.81"
360 2.41" 9.65" 21.72"

As you can see, speed makes little to no difference, for this range, at 20 yards and under. That's why I only pull 62lbs and much prefer brace height over speed here in the midwest. Even at 40 yards, top to bottom, I'm only accounting for about 7 1/2" extra drop. Extreme long range distances, the difference between the Reezen 7 and the Monster (60 yards) is only 5 inches.

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:43 AM

Fun With Math!!!

Let's do a little physics, just for the fun of it. To get an idea how this all plays out in the field, we can compare initial arrow speed to maximum arrow drop at differing distances:

Initial Speed Drop at 20 Drop at 40 Drop at 60

290 4.25" 17.01" 38.28"
315 3.54" 14.19" 31.92"
335 2.98" 11.91" 26.81"
360 2.41" 9.65" 21.72"

As you can see, speed makes little to no difference, for this range, at 20 yards and under. That's why I only pull 62lbs and much prefer brace height over speed here in the midwest. Even at 40 yards, top to bottom, I'm only accounting for about 7 1/2" extra drop. Extreme long range distances, the difference between the Reezen 7 and the Monster (60 yards) is only 5 inches.

I dunno, brother Mark... 7.5" is the difference between pinwheeling the heart and shooting completely under the deer. As I can accurately shoot it, I'll take the speed. (Individual results may vary. ;) )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

Quick View from Mathews archives on the Switchback and the S2.

Switchback specs:

IBO Rating: 318
Axle-to-Axle:33"
Brace Height:7"
Draw Weight:40 - 70 lbs
Bow Weight:4.34 lbs
Let-off:
65%, 80%
Draw Lengths:25" - 30"
Half Sizes:25.5" - 29.5"
*Specs are approximate

Specifications for Mathews S2*
IBO Rating:318 fps
Axle-to-Axle:33"
Brace Height:7"
Draw Weight:40 - 70 lbs
Bow Weight:4.25 lbs
Let-off:65%, 80%
Draw Lengths:25" - 30"

You had me going with your numbers on the switchback and the new version the S2 so I looked them up and thought best to have them copied and past the number from Mathews archives for this post. I own one too. There are other things you didn't bring in to your math example like the affect of draw length on the IBO ratings, weight of the arrow, and the kenetic energy too mention a few of what goes into some equatation of why you might want a faster bow. Not everyone will be at the maximum numbers on the IBO charts but if you use them as a starting point for understanding how the bow is rated you then find how it will work with your setup. Today there is computer software called On Target 2 that will help you find all this out in very short order.

The energy the of each of these bows is also very different and the Monster is running for most setups in the low to middle 80% range. The other bows you mentioned are running from the high 60% to middle 70% if I remember correctly. At the top end of 60% to 70% efficiency is fine for any North American big game animals. 80% and higher can take any large frame animal in Africa no problem.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 16 July 2009 - 08:06 AM.

#12 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

O.K. First, a quick physics lesson. Objects fall at a rate dependent on gravity, not weight. So, the weight of the arrow only determines the delivered foot-pounds of energy at impact - calculated using the weight and speed of the arrow (or any other object for that matter). So, when determining the drop of an object at range - classical dynamics/ballistics - the only variables are the initial speed of the object and the distance down range.

Using the IBO ratings for initial speed of the arrow, the only other variable to consider is the down range distance. Assuming the same arrow (IBO standard) is shot at the same distance these are the "worst case" numbers. Now, lighter arrows tend to be more affected by drag - that's why a feather falls more slowly than, say, a bowling ball. In a vacuum they'd fall at the same rate. Therefore, IBO initial velocities will be higher than a heavier hunting arrow. Thus the on-going and much debated penetration factor, energy delivered, efficiency of energy delivered, etc.. Bottom line, these worst case numbers for ballistics are the numbers.

My 295 number for the SB is my personal 2005 model, not the current model with an IBO of 315 - got me on that one. In that case it's the same as the Dren.

Now, on the issue of 7.5" drop at 40 yards - The difference is an additional 7.5" of judgment at 40 yards and how that affects pin setup. Look through your pins at a target 40 yards away, then imagine your 40 yard pin adjusted for a target bullseye 7.5" lower. That's the difference in pin settings at 40 yards for an initial velocity difference of 360fps vice 295fps. Not much.

Now, if we want to dive into delivered energy at impact...maybe that's another thread.

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Of all the Mathews bows on the market, the SW has the highest brace height at 9". Dren, Conquest, Hyperlite & Reezen 7 all have a brace height of 7". The Monster has a brace height of 6" with the XLR8 model sporting only 5". The SB IBO is 295, where the Dren, Conquest, Hyperlite & Reezen 7 are 315, 320, 325, 335 respectively; Monster models are 353 and 360 respectively.

So, you can see why I shoot the Switchback since brace height equates to forgiveness. I shoot the 80% let-off so I can hold a long time, the bow's heavy enough to be pretty stable, not blistering hot fast, but then I seldom ever shoot over 20 yards – very forgiving, stable, quiet, midwest killer.
Now, if you're looking for speed, no question the Monster's going to produce, but I worry that a brace of 6" or even 5" may be too short for long distances. I may be tempted to go with the Reezen 7 even though you may give up potentially up to 25fps IBO (not much really unless you're obsessed with speed).

My two Lincolns.

That's is why I copied the correct numbers for Switchback because the brace height is the same as the Drenalin, DXT or the Reezen 7. I wouldn't sell my Switchback because it is a great bow and so far I feel the same about the Drenalin.

The 6" brace height worries to me mainly demonstrates form problems and it is not as foregiving as a 7" or greater brace height. The Monster 6" brace height is a very deadly bow out past 40 yards. On the Mathews forum site there are Monster shooters with pictures of shooting 3" and tighter groups with that bow well out past 40 yards and some were with 80# Monsters. Again the Monster is a challenge for me with my form issues and not for everyone but I could say that about any one of these bows. When I'm on and having a good day that 40 yards is a tight group with fixed blade broadheads on the tips. I have ruined several arrows already with shooting groups at 40 yards.

Now when I say go shoot all these bows to see which one says I'm yours there is a reason or Reezen. Posted Image

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

You know what Rowdy, I was looking at the SB LD - it has the 295 IBO with a 9" brace height.

I've thought about this some more and have a suggestion. If a person was really interested to figure in the efficiency of the bow, then forget IBO speeds and take your hunting arrows to the pro shop and shoot each bow through a chrono - then use those speeds to calculate down range drop.

That way everything is taken into account.

Good luck!!!

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

You know what Rowdy, I was looking at the SB LD - it has the 295 IBO with a 9" brace height.

I've thought about this some more and have a suggestion. If a person was really interested to figure in the efficiency of the bow, then forget IBO speeds and take your hunting arrows to the pro shop and shoot each bow through a chrono - then use those speeds to calculate down range drop.

That way everything is taken into account.

Good luck!!!

You can do it at home. Go out to the range and shoot your bow setup for the hunt. Use the pin setting for 20 yards. 30 yards and 40 yards and walk back to 20 yards then pick one spot to shot at. The use your 30 yard and 40 yard pin to shoot with and measure how high your arrows climb above the spot. The reverse can be done by walking out to 40 yards and using your 20 yard pin and 30 yards pin and measure the drop for those arrows.

Now I have done this already using my Monster from another discussion thread I was in at Mathews. My drop using my Monster set at 65# was 5.75" or say 6" using my 20 yard pin. The arrow weight is 445 grains. Now using these number you might be able to figure the speed and KE. was for this shot. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users