22 replies to this topic

#16 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

What FPS are we talking for a 6.5 Reezen set at 70lbs with a 28" draw? Don't ask arrow weight because I don't know... they'll be 350 CX Maxima Hunters with blazers, lumanocks, and 100 grain heads.
Posted Image

#17 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:41 AM

What FPS are we talking for a 6.5 Reezen set at 70lbs with a 28" draw? Don't ask arrow weight because I don't know... they'll be 350 CX Maxima Hunters with blazers, lumanocks, and 100 grain heads.

The Reezen 6.5 shows an IBO of 340fps That's usually the longest draw and lightest arrow allowed by IBO standards, so it's going to be something south of there. Only way to know for sure is to take your hunting arrow to the pro-shop and blow one through the chrono.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#18 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

Seth from the IBO rating and that's using a 30" draw and a 350 grain arrow you can then somewhat back down to your setup. I also shoot a 28" bow so I know you can drop 20 FPS, you drop 10 FPS per inch from IBO standard, and if you have anything on your string like a string loop and peep that might drop it another 5 FPS using a 350 grain arrow. That drops you to 315 FPS right off. Still darn fast. Carbon express Maxima hunter arrows are rated at 8.9 grains per inch and if you cut your arrows at 28" with a 100 grain head you are in the ball park of a 380 to 390 grains arrow. My guess with out using any software is about 300 fps give or take 10 fps. That's a smoking fast dart.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#19 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

Rowdy's all over it man.

I know my IBO is 295fps on my SB, but my hunting arrow measured through the chrono is 255fps. My setup is 62lbs, not 70 and my arrow is 550grains.

By the way, Kinetic Energy is calculated with the known arrow speed and weight of the arrow:

ke=M * v2 / 450,240
= (550 * 255^2)/450,240
= 79.4 foot-lbs.

The following are NBEF recommended energy numbers for big game (minimum):

Small game - 20 to 30 ft-lbs is sufficient. Some states may have a minimum requirement.Deer - For whitetail, mule deer, black tail and the like it is recommended to have at least 40 ft-lbs. Certainly a well placed arrow with slightly less than that may do the job.Bear - We would recommend at least 50 ft-lbs of energy for black bear and brown bear.Elk @ Caribou - 50 ft-lbs or more would be recommended for this type of game. Mostly because the shots may be at further distances.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#20 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:25 AM

By the way, forgot to mention - VERY IMPORTANT - delivered KE is the SPEED AT IMPACT. So, initial velocity is not the same as velocity down range. The only way to know how much drag affects your arrow is to shoot it through a chrono or use a baseball type velocity measuring instrument to get the down range velocity.

The further you shoot, the slower the arrow, the less delivered KE.

#21 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Rowdy and Jack... from shooting at video screens (that also measure arrow speed) in the past, I was just trying to get an idea of whether or not I'd have to duck out of the way when my arrows bounce off the screen. :)

Edited by Whistle Pig, 19 July 2009 - 09:10 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

One last annecdote - my buddy in Florida finally made his selection and chose the Monster XLR8. Says his setup is "flat" to 40 yards. He only has one pin.

Says the bow takes some getting used to, but does not have grouping issues at 40 yards. He's an outstanding shooter, Retired Navy Diver/sniper qualified, fanatic with physical fitness - one of the most fit guys I know that's retired from service. He's thrilled with his choice.

#23 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:53 AM

Thanks Rowdy and Jack... from shooting at video screens (that also measure arrow speed) in the past, I was just trying to get an idea of whether or not I'd have to duck out of the way when my arrows bounce off the screen. Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users