Summit Vs. Summit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

Viper SS
Posted Image

Razor SS
Posted Image

1) Is having the movable/removable front bar really worth the extra money?

2) Is climbing still as easy with the Razor as with the Viper having the bar lowered and at an angle like that?

Discuss...

:)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

What is the benefit of the movable bar. maybe you can shoot a bow with out standing up? not having ever used a climber I can't say.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

What is the benefit of the movable bar. maybe you can shoot a bow with out standing up? not having ever used a climber I can't say.

Yes, that is the idea. Truthfully, I've only shot one deer sitting down in a stand. I always stand up while they are still a ways out or when their head goes behind a tree or something if they are already on top of me when I spot them. Of course, if I didn't have the bar I might be inclined to stay seated.

sig_admin.png

#4 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

I use a hang on and ladder stands. I have shot out of both sitting and standing. both are open so both positions are accepted. but I usually only stand up if I need to turn toward the deer to shoot.

#5 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

Although I can't compare both Summit stands, I can compare the Summit Viper with a Lone Wolf sit climber. The LW has a similar design with to the Razor with the bar being low.

The Summit Viper was much easier to climb with, having the stationary bar at the same location as the "teeth" at the back of the stand.

The movable front bar isn't really an added feature, in my opinion. The front bar on the Viper never interfered with my shooting while standing. It was a little tricky when sitting, but if you keep the seat a little higher it will help some. Neither the stationary or movable front bar makes a decent gun rest, if this stand is ever used for gun hunting.

The Viper isn't the easiest stand to carry around the woods, but it is the most comfortable climber I've used.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

It appears to me that they offer the two stands in an attempt to appeal to both the arrow slingers and the slug slingers. But then gain as Matt has aluded to the bar is apparently not high enough for gun not low enough so as to not interfere with a sitting shot with a bow.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Viper. One of the main factors actually ended up being the price. I found a package deal on the Viper at Cabela's that had more gear (a Realtree EZ-Hanger, Monster Bucks DVD, and the Summit Footrest Kit - which sells for $29.99 on it's own) for $30 less than the price of just the Summit Viper SS. :shock:
Cabela's Realtree Outfitter Series Viper Ultra
The only thing the package deal didn't have was the "Summit Skins", but everything I've heard about them has been bad anyway (mostly not adhering to the stand properly). So, I likely wasn't going to use them anyway. (I installed grit tape on the foot platform bars, so I definitely wouldn't have been using the skins there.)

All told I'm a happy guy (even if the EZ-Hanger was the short model and the DVD stunk :lol: )! That footrest might not look like much, but it really helps me. My feet used to hang off the end of the platform when I would relax into the stand. Not anymore!
I was a bit disappointed to see that Summit has cheapened their supplied harness in the past couple years by not supplying the lineman's style roper and prussic knot rig. But, I ordered that separately directly through Summit (along with the locking carabiners) for $30 and now it's a better safety harness set-up than the supplied harnesses ever were. :D

sig_admin.png

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

Jer,
one thing i'll add to my viper this yr is the surround seat. can't beat the viper thou.. as far as the summit skins go i used mine to wrap my deer cart in lol...

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users