• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

In PA we have to enter a draw for a doe license. The numbers are allocated by wildlife management unit (WMUs). Normally after 1 week all or nearly all are purchased. It is one week and this year not even a third of the licenses in the two wmus I am interested in have been allocated. This year was the first year for two things, 1 we had to send in our applications by July 13th a full month earlier than we have customarily done, the other new thing is where we had to send the applications this year, for the first time since I can remember we send them to the county treasurer in the wmu we want to hunt does in. By law the county treasurer has to issue the license so it makes sense to send your request there rather than to a post office box in Harrisburg where they were forwarded to the county treasurer. This is the first year that all the issuing agents issue licenses in an online situation printing them out at their locations. The county treasurers also have this capability and as explained to me the county treasurer can issue a doe license for any wmu by having this equipment and can tell instantly if there are doe tags left anywhere in the state. Eric and I have applied for doe tags in wmu 1b but actually live in 4d. By the looks of it there may be left over licenses in our home area and we can apply for one of them too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

In PA we have to enter a draw for a doe license. The numbers are allocated by wildlife management unit (WMUs). Normally after 1 week all or nearly all are purchased. It is one week and this year not even a third of the licenses in the two wmus I am interested in have been allocated. This year was the first year for two things, 1 we had to send in our applications by July 13th a full month earlier than we have customarily done, the other new thing is where we had to send the applications this year, for the first time since I can remember we send them to the county treasurer in the wmu we want to hunt does in. By law the county treasurer has to issue the license so it makes sense to send your request there rather than to a post office box in Harrisburg where they were forwarded to the county treasurer. This is the first year that all the issuing agents issue licenses in an online situation printing them out at their locations. The county treasurers also have this capability and as explained to me the county treasurer can issue a doe license for any wmu by having this equipment and can tell instantly if there are doe tags left anywhere in the state. Eric and I have applied for doe tags in wmu 1b but actually live in 4d. By the looks of it there may be left over licenses in our home area and we can apply for one of them too.

I'm glad that here all we have to do is buy our doe tags over the counter, or on line, at the cost of $7 per tag. In many units you can buy several bonus tags. Good luck bud. Hope you and Eric draw tags. :)

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,084 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

A lot of folks I've been talking to "on the street" are still unaware that doe tags went out early this year.

Think about it, if you don't surf the Internet and you don't subscribe to a newspaper, you wouldn't have a clue unless you happened to get word of mouth. The PGC sent me NOTHING in the mail or even via e-mail that licenses and doe tags were early this year. If not for being a regular member of several online hunting forums I wouldn't have known myself.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#4 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Jer you need to live here in Ky as anyone can get doe tags and in several counties you can have all the doe tags you wish for at $10. per two. There is a one buck limit however.
MR300WM

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

It use to be much more less complicated !
All apps for certain county were mailed to that county's treasurer's office....either lottery draw or first come first served depending on number of apps received.
Then it was changed when the state switched to Wildlife Management Units which encompassed several countys so all apps went to Harrisburg....then the state sent them to the county treasurers offices within each WMU for distribution. Last year several of these offices were late sending lics to hunters so archery season began before some hunters had them.
...Now the PGC(or should I say the State Government forced the PGC) came up with a new "More efficient" system.
As Paul said, a hunter can send to any treasurer's office and apply for a lic to hunt in any WMU....should be quick & easy with available lics being just a "click" way for the office personel to access.
....but alas.....reports are filtering in that some Treasurers offices are way behind in processing apps already received(thousands of them) so the only hunters benefiting are the ones who applied to offices with enough foresight to hire temp. empolyees to handle the sudden flood of pink envelopes needing imediate processing. Unforunately this little delay results in wrong numbers being projected on the PGC's website for "Doe Lic" updates. By the end of this week processing should be caught up and I believe there'll be a real change in the projected number of lics availible for the 2nd round.

...And as Jeremiah said, many hunters who haven't been keeping up to date on the current changes will be in for a nasty surprize come August.

*You'd have to be from PA to understand my last comment....ya see, PA has ALWAYS had a rule that Anterless apps. wouldn't be accepted until the 1st Monday in August so the last couple days of July you'd see lines of hunters at sporting goods buying a General hunting license(doe app. & official envelope comes with purchase of gen.lic.) ....this way they could fill out the apps in time for the draw. Gonna be some screaming when the last minute crowd finds out the licences are already soldout in most WMU'sPosted Image

Edited by Phil, 20 July 2009 - 05:37 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

I mailed my to Williamsport, from Williasmport last Monday and don't see the $13.40 check for our doe tags taken from my account yet... don't know if I need to be concerned or not. There's deffinately a delay in the WMU tag count though. I'd love to snag a bonus tag or two for my wife and I.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 20 July 2009 - 06:35 AM.

Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

I just checked the PA game Comm website for the two wmus I am interested in. Todays total sold in wmu 1b is now 10356 up about 1677 from what was there yesterday. In 4d the total is up to 11948 an increase of 1484. I just checked and Aug 3 is the first date someone can apply for a bonus tag if any are left.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

Posted Image ....here's a quick link to pgc doe lics.

https://www2.pa.wild...m/deeravail.php
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users