#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:47 AM

Posted Image
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

Nice shooting!

Question though about the species you are holding?

Alligator gar are found well south of Indiana and mostly in the lower Mississippi River and over to the Southeastern States but the long nose gar looks more like what you are holding and it is found in more northern waters around the Ohio River basin as for North as Ontario.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 20 July 2009 - 10:02 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

Nice, but you should come to Missouri. I'll show you gar that you'd think twice about shooting. You'd be afraid of making them mad! LOL

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

You're right Rowdy,

I've been calling those buggers alligator gar all my life, but I just looked them up and this fellow is a long-nose gar.

I know you definitely don't want to grab that snout without a glove - found that out the hard way. He's got teeth and to spare - some sticking straight out. So, even with it's mouth closed, you'll get a nasty prick if you grab his snout. That's why my picture has me cradling him from beneath with both hands.

I took my skinning knife and severed his spine for him right behind the head so he'd hold still for pictures. Slimmy little guys.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

That is cool!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

Pretty cool.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users