13 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

Just wondering, what is your favorite muzzleloader? What one do you think is the best on the market? I'm a dyed in the wool T/C fan and have been for years. I did buy a CVA Optima Pro that I have high hopes for though. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 20 July 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I have never owned a TC. I have shot them but never owned one. Of course being from PA when someone says traditional I naturally think of a flintlock. I have several Kassnars that shoot pretty well but are pretty heavy carrying around all day. I have recently bought an accusporter flintlock that I really like. It has an L&R Lock and a green mountain barrel. I have two barrels for it. One is a 1:48 twist and the other is a 1:28 twist.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

What I like about Thompson Center is the quality. They make a very reliable and accurate firearm. You can just pick one up and see and feel that it is well made.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

Since this is in the Traditional forum I will answer it from that standpoint. For a traditional rifle, I like the Thompson Center Hawkins and Renegades. Both are great rifles. They are not only good shooters but very well made, dependable, and easy to service and make additions to.

For the inline aspect. If I were getting a CVA it would be the Accura. There would be no other one that I would pick. CVA guarantees that the Accura is THE most accurate inline break open rifle you can find. If it were a Thompson Center it wold be the Triumph. The only reason I pick that over the Encore is I see no need for a rifle that changes barrels to be a center fire. Also I don't like the design of the stock of the Encore.

Knight technically went out of business. But it is hard to beat there Disc Extreme rifle. I would get that in a .50 caliber.

This would be my recommendations. But to pick the most accurate Traditional rifle I own..

Posted Image

I'd pick ..... that one.Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

Hey, ya know what? I kinda like that one too! ;) If you were a woman Dave I'd tell you what a nice rack you have. Posted Image Posted Image

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Believe me.. its a thing I really enjoy. My problem is like most things I get into, I went a little over board. But then that is all right too. It's my over board.

I really have no favorite rifle. I have some I really like. But I like to shoot any of them. Even the poor quality ones. As they are a challenge to make them shoot better.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

I've always found that firearms can also be a great investment. With that and the enjoyment they bring just how cool is that! :D

#8 halo2

halo2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Just wondering, what is your favorite muzzleloader? What one do you think is the best on the market? I'm a dyed in the wool T/C fan and have been for years. I did buy a CVA Optima Pro that I have high hopes for though. Posted Image

I have a Pedersoldi .32 Cub. This is a high quality traditional muzzleloader. It is great for my wife and my grankids. It has no recoil and a stock which will fit women and older children. It does have double set triggers so they learn about real muzzleloading.
Several new .32's have come out in a short format. Dixie Gun Works carries them. If you just like fun and want to keep your eye sharp for your iron sighted muzzleloader in the Fall, a .32 is the way to go. If you use black powder or Pyrodex, you must clean after every shot as the .32 fouls easiily. It is best to use a modern powder like Pioneer or or one of the other "clean" powders and shoot 20 rounds without cleaning. With 20-25 grains of powder, it is also cheap to shoot.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

I've always found that firearms can also be a great investment. With that and the enjoyment they bring just how cool is that! :D

I am kind of at a cross roads again. I have a chance to buy a "like new" Thompson Center .50 caliber Flintlock for $300.00 TYD. I asked about the barrel and they said, its a Green Mountain 1-70 twist drop in barrel with about 50 rounds through it. Its as good as new. So they showed me pictures of it, and its a beautiful rifle, no doubt. But I already have an identical one.

I know that new, they sell for around $550.00 but I have watched the new ones on the gun auction sites, and they are in that $300.00 price range, so it would just be another rifle to me. Not an investment.

But to be honest, I need another rifle like a hole in the head.Posted Image

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Posted Image

I am kind of at a cross roads again. I have a chance to buy a "like new" Thompson Center .50 caliber Flintlock for $300.00 TYD. I asked about the barrel and they said, its a Green Mountain 1-70 twist drop in barrel with about 50 rounds through it. Its as good as new. So they showed me pictures of it, and its a beautiful rifle, no doubt. But I already have an identical one.

I know that new, they sell for around $550.00 but I have watched the new ones on the gun auction sites, and they are in that $300.00 price range, so it would just be another rifle to me. Not an investment.

But to be honest, I need another rifle like a hole in the head.Posted Image

Some are better investments than others.Posted Image I've made so so buys and I've made great buys but I've enjoyed every one I bought. Posted Image

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

TC Omega 50 caliber, she has always been good to me

bc

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Well I lucked out, someone bought that rifle before me. I am glad actually. I knew it would not last long. I think the best one to shoot is the one in my hands... Posted Image

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

I have a life goal of meeting face to face with certain people. I have achieved some of that goal and am pleased to say I have not yet been disappointed infact a few of those meetings have turned out to making lifelong friends. One of my goals is to somehow get to meet face to face with the one known here as Cayugad. I am sure that meeting would be even better than a kid going to Toys R Us. I always thought I had a fair collection of firearms but when Cayugad posts a pic of just some of his frontloader stable my jaw drops and I just drool all over my keyboard. No wonder it is so hard for him to pick a favorite. I would love to share a campfire with Cayugad and Spirithawk and who knows that may just happen one day. Thank you guys for your posts and most of all your honesty and willingness to share your experiences.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#14 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

I have a Knight "rolling block" still new in the box..............I have only shot one black powder rifle and as soon as I pulled the trigger and the barrel went off,I fell in love with them! It was a TC........

Edited by Fossil, 07 January 2010 - 06:04 AM.

Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users