3 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

I have only hunted turkeys during the Spring season mostly, but this year I plan to try for them in the Fall. I'm quite aware of the old tactic of scattering a flock and then sitting down and using yelps as the dominant hen calls for them to regroup, but anyone have any other tips? Maybe putting them to bed and trying to be in the right spot when they fly down come morning?

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 July 2009 - 05:34 PM.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Back in the days of better mobility I would scout them like whitetail. If you're observant and know what to look for you can spot their "scratchings" and even determine a general direction of travel from any tracks you may find. I'd generally backtrack their sign until I either found a proof-positive roost site (by actually finding turkey turds and such around the bases of roost trees) or, at least, find a stand of trees that seemed a likely roost site.

I would then basically set up on them like whitetail as well. In the mornings I would try to be somewhere relatively "close" to the roost area along their most likely traveled path (from the sign found) and ambush them. (Oft times not calling at all. Perhaps a few contented clucks or purrs at most.)

Best case scenario for me in PA was to find an area like this that also had deer sign and then I would actually put up a stand and be able to run an arrow through either a whitetail or turkey. (Had it happen on more than one occasion that a deer hunt would quickly turn into a turkey hunt or vice versa.)

It's not as fun as scattering and kee-keeing and it's far from the excitement of a spring gobbler hunt. But, if killin' a fall turkey is the ultimate goal it will produce.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

Jeremiah is point on. Finding a roost area can be a big help in the fall. You can set up for either a morning or an evening hunt at that location. Otherwise the flock can be anywhere during the day. They can be hunted during the day also by a run and gun method. Once located scatter the flock and settle in for up to an hour or until you hear them calling. Begin your calling and be ready to shoot as they may come from any direction at any time.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

That's about what I figured guys, but it never hurts to ask for advice. Thanks. Posted Image On the plus side, we pretty much know the locations where turkeys habitualy roost. I've busted flocks, then waited till the calling starts and it does work if you can scatter them good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users