5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

I have an old Pro Hoyt recurve that has a lot of sentimental value but saddly has a hairline crack, along the inside lamanent, of one of the limbs. It's only through that inside layer and a few inches long. The draw weight is only 40 lbs, so I'm not sure there's really much stress on the limbs, but I was wondering if the bow is safe to shoot like that? If it had a heavier draw weight I'd think not. Also could it be repaired or would that cost way more than the bow's worth?

Edited by Spirithawk, 29 July 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

My personal view is do not shoot the bow. Stress on the inside of the limb is compression on drawing and the stress on the outside of the limb is expansion. Either way the limb is stressed on drawing. I have had two recurves that I shot in cometition break on drawing and both had a small crack right where they broke. Recently I had an old jennings compound worked on and as I was drawing it the first time after that the limb snapped. Both my tournament bows that broke were just less than 40 lbs draw and the compound was set at 54 lbs. The tech at the shop was lucky because he drew it several times before he handed it to me at the shop. Since it is an old bow you may not be able to get replacement limbs for it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

The crack is barely noticable and running the length of the limb, not crosswise, but I think I'll just leave it hanging on the wall. Thanks Paul. Posted Image

#4 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

duct tape and bailing wire will fix anything :lol:  really i think its a wall hanger now

#5 cowiche

cowiche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

I have an old Pro Hoyt recurve that has a lot of sentimental value but saddly has a hairline crack, along the inside lamanent, of one of the limbs. It's only through that inside layer and a few inches long. The draw weight is only 40 lbs, so I'm not sure there's really much stress on the limbs, but I was wondering if the bow is safe to shoot like that? If it had a heavier draw weight I'd think not. Also could it be repaired or would that cost way more than the bow's worth?

#6 cowiche

cowiche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

Spirithawk an old indian trick for repairing cracks. Fill it with super glue! I've done it many times and it works well the glued crack is tougher than the original wood. I recommend " Sure Shot" super glue. You can get it at Ace Hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users