9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

Any of you all catfishermen? Jason and I love fishing the lakes for big cats, 10 lbs and up. Great eating and fun to catch. We also put out trot lines and jugs on occasion. Mostly we use chicken livers for bait and tight line fish from the bank. Put one on a treble hook and wrap a square cut from an old nylon stocking around it to hold it on good. Cats can then mouth it without pulling it off and it still bleeds into the water giving off a good scent trail. Sooo, if you fish for catfish, what do you use for bait and what's your favorite method? Any good recipes for cooking them? I love them breaded and fried and then doused with hot sauce. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 July 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Brian and I are heading out tomorrow to see if we can catch some here is a link to where we are going they have some big uns in there http://www.reilakes.com/
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

I've always just used live bait. Mostly grasshoppers and frogs down here. I do most of my fishing in a creek that runs through my grandmother's farm. I go from one deep hole to the next until I cover the whole property. I like to toss little pebbles in the water, if I see a decent number of perch, I start fishing for the bigger fish. I don't fish for one type of fish in general though, just whatever will bite the line on that given day. :) Good luck to you guys and let us know what you catch!
BrandonT

#4 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

I have a 15 foot throw net so we use it to get our bait and get some small sunnies or whatever give a little slit in the belly and stuff it with cat bait then throw it out and with any luck will be bringing in some good ones
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#5 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

Oh heck ya',we all fish those cats....................Here is a pic of my brother Kay and his buddy with a days worth of fishing.....He lives in Montana and they caught them on the Mussellshell river...........

Posted Image
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#6 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

We love to catfish. If were not hunting were catting. We fish alot of the local tourneys and had the opportuity to fish the cabelas tourney twice. As far as bait goes if it will fit on the hook Ill try it but we have aour favorites. Creek chubs are by far my favorite,problem is there are two different kinds one is awesome and the other couldnt catch a breeze.
Shootem in the face!!

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:10 AM

Posted Image Norm, you are a Posted Image. I haven't had a feed of cats for years! There isn't any around here at all. I caught all kinds of them on minnows and livers and worms when I was younger, then moved to a place that is over run with trout. Skin them and make a blend of flour, cayenne,garlic,pepper,salt,thyme,paprika,cardomum and toss them into a cast iron pan with a mixture of olive oil and butter. Fry them up andPosted Image til you burst. Wear a bib so that you don't Posted Image all over your shirt.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

Oh guys come on you are making me hungry and our water is just too hard right now to fish for them. As I said before I would ice fish but it is too big a chore to chop a hole for my boat. My son-in-law grew up in Memphis Tenn and fished the mississippi for cat all the time. He can cook em up too. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it. When I fish for cats I mostly use night crawlers, chicken livers, or a commercial stink bait.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image You guys tickle me! Man, there are few things more relaxing than spending a warm summer's night sitting on a bank fishing for cats! Gets pretty exciting though when you hook one. Posted Image Wonder why, all of a sudden, I have a serious hankering for a fish fry? Posted Image Posted Image

Fred, sorry buddy, but hey.....you could always come visit!

Edited by Spirithawk, 27 February 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

I've always found catfish neat, but I never really started to take it "seriously" until last year. I've been too totally addicted to chunking largemouth lures over the years to be patient enough to sit and line watch. But, with certain health issues has come a need to slow down. So, I've tried to learn some tactics for getting into bigger cats and I've had enough success to be pretty well hooked at this point. It's often about patience (i.e. slow or even boring at times), but when it all comes together it's like having a sled-pulling tractor on the end of your line. Who wouldn't love that?!

Anyway, in my experience, nothing beats fresh cut bait. The local pond(s) I fish most around here that have big cats have an abundance of bluegill, so they tend to work out nicely. I've occasionally hooked them live on a slip-sinker rig, but unless you hook them just right and free spool (preferably with a clicker alarm reel!) they tend to die a bit more quickly than I care for. So, I tend to just cut to the chase (pun intended) and de-fin them after cutting them in half (or fourths) and bait up a nice 6/0 circle hook (or larger depending upon bluegill size) with the bloody chunks. I've also been playing around with Berkley Gulp Catfish Chunks this year as well. They seem to be pretty horribly rated on Cabela's website, but I've landed a few sizable cats on both the blood and chicken flavor; though they seem to favor the blood. To me, the Gulp Chunks may not be quite as effective as real chicken liver, but they stay on the hook way better. I've actually caught multiple fish on the same chunk and been able to throw them back in the bag for another day! So, in the long run, they're actually cheaper than real liver too.

Now, the above is generally for when I'm after the man-eaters. If I'm just looking to catch some more average-sized channel cats on a spinning rig, for example, night crawlers or dip bait seem to work (especially the crawlers). In general, I'd say I've just about the same amount of success fishing various baits under a big slip float (a.k.a. "bobber" :rolleyes: ) as I have fishing off the bottom. Which I use is usually just a matter of whether I'm fishing a pond or a river. (Pond: Float. River: Slip Sinker. Usually, anyway.) Obviously, if it's a particularly windy day, I tend to avoid fishing floats regardless. On a side note: Sadly, jug fishing for cats isn't legal in my state. So, I've not had the pleasure. (Wish I had tried it when I was still living down south.)

Of course, we could also talk about times to go. I love to night fish for cats. To me, it's the best. They just seem to be most active. (Plus, since it's mostly a summer time affair for me, the temperatures are usually a lot nicer at night!) But, I've also gotten into decent ones around first light/early morning as well.

Eating... love them! Usually just cut in chunks and fried in batter. Of course, hot sauce is obligatory. I've never tried any other way to know if something else may be even better. Anyway... this topic could be deep enough to warrant a dedicated catfish forum. :lol: So, I'll quite before my fingers really start hurting. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users