• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

Anatomy Antelope
by
Carey Jr. High Art Club
Tyler Eilbeck - Designer, Teacher - Connie NormanPosted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

yea right there :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Makes me want to kill something.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

You make a poor shot on these guys your in for a long day.

IMO Double lung or right thru both shoulders is my personal choice and have taken a enough of em to make a football team

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thanks BC. Like on any big game animal aim for the opposite front leg just in the middle of the body. I figure my closes shot opportunity will be 40 yards maybe less hopefully not much more. I don't bother practicing under 40 yards right now with the 3D antelope. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

I apologize Rowdy i was referring to a rifle or muzzleloader shot. Of course both shoulders won't have alot of success, they are a smaller boned species but would be low success on that shot with a bow.

Double lung or at least catch the back or front of that opposite lung like most species and you'll have a nice pronghorn sir

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

I apologize Rowdy i was referring to a rifle or muzzleloader shot. Of course both shoulders won't have alot of success, they are a smaller boned species but would be low success on that shot with a bow.

Double lung or at least catch the back or front of that opposite lung like most species and you'll have a nice pronghorn sir

BC

BC no need to apologize! I figured your plan was with a rifle hunt. I noticed on the anatomy of these critters that the shoulder bone or scapula is very high up and out of the way of a broadhead, unless I pull the shot Posted Image and or it tries to duck the shot. I've been told to aim and shoot low at any animal at a water hole because they are on high alert and will jump the string and a low shot may just be in the boiler room then.

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

They are about the size of a small deer. Doesn't take much of a bow to get pass through penetration. The vital area is also smaller. Here's my take on that. Shoot a broadhead that will cut as big a hole as you can shoot accurately (at least a 2inch cut mechanical). That will go a long way to bleeding them out much faster on a less than ideal shot. Pronghorn antelope are, based on my very limited experience with them, almost twice as fast as whitetails. They can cover amazingly long distances in seconds.

Go for the lungs and make a big hole with your broadhead.
Posted Image

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Leo thanks for the help and some advice.

The last time I hunted there we were using blinds with shoot thru screens and to me that rules out the use of must mechanical broadheads. The broadhead that I have been practicing with is a G5 striker 100 grain with a 1 1/8" cutting on contact ability. It doesn't seem to be to affect by a cross-wind for me even with a merger FOC. It did a nice number on my fallow deer last October and it was a larger buck for a fallow deer so I'm betting this should do a number on the Pronghorn.

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

Leo thanks for the help and some advice.

The last time I hunted there we were using blinds with shoot thru screens and to me that rules out the use of must mechanical broadheads. The broadhead that I have been practicing with is a G5 striker 100 grain with a 1 1/8" cutting on contact ability. It doesn't seem to be to affect by a cross-wind for me even with a merger FOC. It did a nice number on my fallow deer last October and it was a larger buck for a fallow deer so I'm betting this should do a number on the Pronghorn.

I personally haven't taken anything with a G5 Striker. I received a free one in the mail as the result of a promotional deal G5 had when they just introduced the head. Absolutely, positively, the sharpest head out of the box I've ever handled. I put one on the end on an arrow and then threw the arrow like a spear at a broadhead target from five feet away. The arrow stuck like it was a thrown dart! A cut on contact broadhead has to be REAL sharp to pass that test. Most heads just stick, droop and then fall out under the strain of their own weight.

If you're gonna be shooting through a screen, that sharpness is really going to help.

I've never tried shooting thru one of those screens. So I don't know what the differences and limitations are on them.
Posted Image

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

I've never tried shooting thru one of those screens. So I don't know what the differences and limitations are on them.

I don't have any personally experience or use either. Sat in quiet a few blinds that have it and mine have it but never took a shot out of mine yet. The ones I sat in two years ago now someone shot thru the mesh screen and the hole looked good. I've talked to several guys over the years that have given it good reviews. I was hoping to maybe remove it on the last time and when I looked at it there was no place to unsnap or zip it off. I had Muzzy MX3 broadheads back then and they would have cut their way through it no problem and hopefully not been thrown off course by it.

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

Mark: your trip is coming up soon, what are the dates you'll be out here? I gotta make plans ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

Mark: your trip is coming up soon, what are the dates you'll be out here? I gotta make plans Posted Image

13 days and counting. I fly into Colorado Springs. It's a four day hunt. I leave Colorado Springs on 8/24 around noon for Columbus.

I would like to get together sometime while I'm there. Once I get there I have a limited time to make the drive south to my arrival meeting place in Trinidad plus I have to buy my license at Walmart. Time wise for you the drive from home to the eastern part is a haul. That takes time away from work for you. But if I get this done early I'll be headed further west to meet Randy and take a good look at Colorado and your trophy moose.Posted Image

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

I'll make the drive out to Trinidad or the springs. no worries just need to know when....if you fill early and want to head up for some moose steaks....that's even better :)

besides I got a heck of a story for ya...on my cinnamon bear.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

I'll make the drive out to Trinidad or the springs. no worries just need to know when....if you fill early and want to head up for some moose steaks....that's even better Posted Image

besides I got a heck of a story for ya...on my cinnamon bear.

Now the pressures on - I definitely will be filling the tag as fast I can for A moose dinner and will be all ears wanting to hear the rest of the story about what happened with that gorgeous bear.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users