4 replies to this topic

#1 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

No MSRP found, I'm sure it'll go for more than what their Mustangs are. This really only caught my interest because my wife says she wants to start shooting soon. I'm sure this is way more bow than what would suffice for her so start with... I was looking at the Mustang and Ignition for her but with this announcement think I'll stick with Mathews Mission Menace as she's never shot before and this bow is so easily manipulated and would be a good one for the growing kiddos who are also expressing interest.

But here the link:

Mathews Passion
Posted Image

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

This is definitely a serious bow made specifically for the ladies. Most other "womens' bows" are really "small-framed archer" bows; meaning they are made to fit women, youth, and anyone of smaller stature. (In other words, the bow manufacturers are throwing a large blanket over a clearly smaller market group.) These bows tend to be geared toward being easily fit over a range of shorter draw lengths and weights rather than dialing into a specific zone for peak performance. The Passion bow is the opposite. It is for the woman who has been shooting/hunting for a while, who knows their own needs in a bow, and is now looking to push the envelope. These bows utilize a "fixed" draw length cam the way most of the "mens'" bows from Mathews do. A lot of people complain about this (even in the "mens'" bows) because it can be inconvenient to make small changes or when attempting to sell a bow as you have to actually swap the cam for another if a different draw length is needed. But, what these people do not realize is that a fixed cam (one that does not have draw length modules, but is actually built draw length specific) is designed to come to optimum rotation for peak performance at full draw. By contrast, most modular cam systems, especially in the "women/youth" category, are only designed to stop the cam at a certain point in its rotation to fit the shooter. There is no real concern for whether the cam will shoot to its full potential at this artificially shortened position. The result is a loss of performance; most notably in speed. Also, in the case of cams that utilize a weighted disk, as most Mathews cams, a modular design can foil the use of inertia on the shot and the vibration dampening properties afforded by the disk in the cam.

To me, the Mustang was sort of like the first step. It gave us a glimpse of a more serious bow for female archers. I think the Passion is just the next step. Again, to me, this would not really be a good "first bow" unless someone really takes the time to properly fit the bow to the shooter. (And that includes draw weight, not just length. Which, unfortunately, many women, like youth, tend to develop strength rapidly once they begin shooting regularly. Hence this bow, again, may not be the best choice for the "beginner".) I just really feel this bow is going to shine for all of those women out there who have been in archery long enough to be able to appreciate what a higher performance bow really affords them. I think it will be huge for them and I think it's about time.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

Mathews is the only company that I'm aware of that made this move toward the lady archer/bowhunter market. Smart move if you ask me. Mathews TV had the first commercial for it and many celeb type lady bowhunters are taking this bow on for this coming season Janice Maxfield will be bear hunting with one on the next show per the excerpts from this week. Tiffany Lakosky, Tammy Gregory, Kandi Kisky and a few more will be using this bow this season. I will be interested in seeing if Mathews takes this Lady's bows any further in the future.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

... (And that includes draw weight, not just length. Which, unfortunately, many women, like youth, tend to develop strength rapidly once they begin shooting regularly. Hence this bow, again, may not be the best choice for the "beginner".) ...

Exactly... she got to try out Menace and seemed to like it. I know she has to progress into a draw weight suitable for hunting, I'd be happy with 40lbs. I'm thinking of getting her comfortable with the Menace, and upgrading in the future and passing the Menace off to the kids.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 07 August 2009 - 03:05 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:16 AM

These bows utilize a "fixed" draw length cam the way most of the "mens'" bows from Mathews do. A lot of people complain about this (even in the "mens'" bows) because it can be inconvenient to make small changes or when attempting to sell a bow as you have to actually swap the cam for another if a different draw length is needed. But, what these people do not realize is that a fixed cam (one that does not have draw length modules, but is actually built draw length specific) is designed to come to optimum rotation for peak performance at full draw. By contrast, most modular cam systems, especially in the "women/youth" category, are only designed to stop the cam at a certain point in its rotation to fit the shooter. There is no real concern for whether the cam will shoot to its full potential at this artificially shortened position. The result is a loss of performance; most notably in speed.

Exactly. In 2004 when I made the mistake of buying a certain Cam & 1/2 bow with modules, I quickly realized how much of a disadvantage modules can be. Because my bow didn't have the correct modules (the "stop" was at the front of these modules, rather than towards the back), my bow shot nearly 20 FPS slower than it should have. The bow shop manager (not from the place I bought the bow from) was confused also, as I should have been closer to 275 FPS rather than 255 FPS. A "fixed" cam will be a "must" for any future bows I purchase.

I think the Passion is a great bow from Mathews. It is probably the first "serious" womens bow on the market. For the experienced female archer, I think this bow will be a huge hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users