10 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

I have been using the cheapy 25 dollar case from wally world and want to know what everyone suggests? the thing that I have found is the one I am talking about is a hard shell looks like this http://www.cabelas.c...rset=ISO-8859-1
and the one I am looking at is this one whats your oppinions?
http://www.cabelas.c...rset=ISO-8859-1

if someone wants to correct the links and post pics thats fine

I feel the cheap case will move sites and such as it has the contact with it as you are traveling to your hunting grounds but is better then nothing to protect it on a budget with the more expensive not not in contact with the accessories it will not move them around as much

Edited by irinman2424, 13 August 2009 - 08:38 PM.

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

I don't know if that first case is the actual case you have or not, but I can say of over 2 dozen cases we sold at the last shop I was working for, that particular Plano with "PillarLock" was easily one of the best bang for the buck cases going. We did stupid stuff (like stand on the closed case around the pillar sites) and it didn't crush. Don't get me wrong, it's a "cheap" case. (The materials and such.) But, it will more than protect a bow for hunting. (Wouldn't recommend it for airlines.)

Now, that second case I actually own. I bought it because it looked impressive. (I also liked the way it took up less space to open.) The bad thing about it is that only certain bows really fit in it. You'll notice that there is no mention of being "parallel limb" friendly on that page (unlike the first case) and you will also notice that they have an old school short riser / long limb (non parallel limb) Jennings Buckmaster in the case. I use the case for my indoor target bow. (So, no parallel limbs.) However, I still had to modify the case to accept the length of the bow. (I took the "fat" rollers off of the clamps that actually hold the bow and dipped the metal pins in Plastidip so that I could actually run them through riser cutouts instead of over the limbs because they simply wouldn't reach that far on the bow.) One would definitely be needing to modify as such to even have a chance of a modern extreme parallel limb bow fitting in the case.

Just look at the user ratings between the two cases you pointed to there for an idea of what to expect. ;)

If you're wanting something a bit more substantial without spending an arm and a leg, I've had my eye on this one...
http://www.cabelas.c...0017&hasJS=true

I also sold quite a few of these...
http://www.cabelas.c...0017&hasJS=true
... to folks with short, parallel limb bows. It's a nice space saver and has PillarLock all around.

If you ever want the end all for airline travel and the full deal... You're probably going to want to look at SKB or Americase.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

the thing is I have a bad habit of not using the velcro straps in them as when I get in the field and park I dont like that Ripping sound getting the bow out so its not secure in the case I feel since I do not like using the velcro

Edited by irinman2424, 13 August 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Don't expect much of an upgrade there with that case either. The clamps that hold the bow are secured to the bottom of the case with bolts. Unfortunately, the base of the clamp that the bolt runs through is soft rubber. (No reinforcement. Not even a nice size washer. Literally, just a standard bolt head securing a big chunk of rubber.) Needless to say, I've had the clamp(s) pop right off of the bolt head(s) if the case is rattle around. (Especially if it finds its way onto its side.) If/when that happens, the bow is totally free to move around inside the case. Truthfully, removing the Velcro and rigging some sort of snaps onto the nylon straps of another case would probably have taken far less effort than I have expended in making this case serviceable.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:42 AM

If you ever plan to fly anywhere with your bow:

http://www.cabelas.c...1233&hasJS=true

Can't go wrong with an SKB case. I've got one for my bow, my wife's bow and my son's bow. The one my wife has is my hand-me-down. I've flown with that case at least a dozen times - never an issue. Those cases can take an absolute beating and they will not leak water and will protect your stuff. Mine is the retangular double case and I stuff it full on long journeys - again, never an issue. They lock up tight and stand up to the worst any airline handler can dish out...and believe me they do.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

http://www.cabelas.c...0017&id=0057151

I own this one and another style of plastic hard cover cases and for traveling in a car or truck they do a great job. Personally I don't think that velcro sound makes a bunch of difference unless you are carrying your bow in the case out to your stand sight. I leave my case in the truck. I have seen all these plastic bow cases in air ports being checked in and picked up and they look ok on the outside but for me I wouldn't do it.

http://www.cabelas.c...1233&hasJS=true

This is the one I own for flying and it has been through several airports in the States and in Canada. It has been banged around in a boat for several days and my bow was in great condition afterwards.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

In my opinion, we spend a small fortune on our rifles and bows so why in the world skimp on buying the best case we can to protect them? That being said however, Jason has a case like that first one and has used it for years. It's been carried in the back of Jeeps and pickup trucks and bounced around a lot. He's never had a problem with it protecting his bow. He does use the velcro though, but we are usually parked quite a distance from where we are hunting so it making a bit of noise when getting his bow out has never been a problem.

#8 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

when I hunt its usually about 120-150 yards or so from where I park at maybe Im being over parinoid about it

Posted Image

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

when I hunt its usually about 120-150 yards or so from where I park at maybe Im being over parinoid about it

It never hurts to play it safe bud. Noise does travel a long way and deer hear much better than us.
Here's an idea. If it's the noise the velcro makes that worries you I'd do this. Cut each strip of velcro off leaving about two inches of each. Fold them in half and punch a hole through both layers. Then thread shoelaces through the holes and tie one end to the velcro. Leave enough lace that you can then use it to tie your bow in place using a knot like when tying your shoe. Your bow is held in place and then all you have to do is simply pull the ends to release the knot and your bow is free with no noise at all. Simple fix to your problem and you don't have to buy a new case. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 August 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#10 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

That SKB is a lot cheaper at places other than Cabela's... Amazon.com, new from archery shops on eBay, etc. I saw it at my local Richard's today for $199.
Posted Image

#11 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

this is the case I have and it is fully adjustable made by Plano
Posted Image

Edited by FrankSr, 25 December 2009 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users