3 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

I guess maybe I'm a bit old fashioned. Ok, I admit it I'm very old fashioned, but I realy love the beauty of a quallity wood stock on a rifle or shotgun. Same goes with pistol grips. A beautiful woodgrain just adds class to any firearm. That being said though, I have to admit that where my hunting guns are concerned, and this means only rifles and shotguns, I am lately switching to synthetic stocks. Where pistols are concerned I refuse to switch. lol. The reason I've been switching is simply from a practical standpoint. The synthetic stocks are lighter and I don't have to worry about getting one scratched or damaged from getting wet or from oil. I may be disabled but Jason and I still cover a lot of pretty rough terrain when hunting and in all kinds of weather. We like to go where others fear to tread and seldom hesitate to do so. I always worried about scarring up the walnut stock of my Encore. That rifle means the world to me for way too many reasons to number. I sincerely want to keep it in the very best condition possible because one day it will be Jason's. Then after him a grandson's. Now that I have the camo synthetic stock on it I no longer worry. The walnut stock is safe in a drawer of the gun cabinet. Jason has a Ruger Mark II All Weather 7mm mag that went a long way in convincing me to like synthetic stocks. Often our guns are carried in racks on our quad runners. They get splashed with mud and water and slapped by branches. No way around it at times. Then too we often wade through heavy brush which also can add a ton of scratches to wood. I've only got one shotgun that will always keep it's walnut stock and that's my AYA doublebarrel 12 ga. It is just too valuable to mess with. Soooo, what's you alls thoughts on wood versus synthetic? You prefer one over the other?

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 August 2009 - 11:18 PM.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

Wood looks 10x better IMO, and I actaully perfer wood compared to synthetic on shotguns (except for waterfowl guns).

If I was planning on hunting somewhere that I knew would be tough on my gun, I would want synthetic. But for any other hunting trip, give me a nice wood stock.
-Eric

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I like the wood stocks. They get scratched, but, I prefer to look at the scratches as "battle" scars.lol. Reminds me of where I had been. Some day I suppose, somebody else will see those scars and maybe think about the guy carrying the gun when the scars were made.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

I too love wood stocks for their beauty and feel. I also hate wood for its instability. It can swell or shrink and warp. Plus it is fairly easy to mar or scratch. I hate the synthetic stocks for their looks. I love them for their stability. I actually use both. I have two primary rifles a Win 270 and a Win in a custom 7mm mag. Both are right handed bolt. I shoot left handed and that means that usually the cheek piece is just a lump of wood on the wrong side of the stock. I had mounted the 270 in a synthetic stock and it was just a little lighter. I came across a wood stock that was for a model 70 right hand bolt but with a left hand cheek piece. The price was right and I had it professionally bedded and It is a favorite. My turkey shotgun is a Win 1300 Black Shadow which sports a synthetic stock but I found a buttstock with a tactical m-16 grip and find it is now my favorite too as I can hold it in position much longer than the standard buttstock it came with. My inline muzzleloader has a synthetic stock but my flintlock has a laminated wood stock so I do admire both for their qualities and use both.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users