6 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

i went hunting the other day( the season started aug. 15th) and i could not beleive my eyes and ears. the woods were full of squirrels, gray and fox they were really tearing up the hickory trees. there seems to be alot more squirrels this year than in the past, last year wasn't bad but this year is great. ky. allows 6 sqirrels and i got my limit in about 30 minutes, and out of one single hickory tree. the other trees around me all had squirrels in them, after my limit i just stayed and watched. has anyone else been hunting this year?, if so is there alot where you hunt? thanks for any responses.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

There are a lot of squirrels around here. Mostly because not many people hunt them I don't think. It's the same with rabbits. Most rabbits and squirrels are killed during pheasant season when a hunter stumbles across some.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edited by runNgun, 20 August 2009 - 11:38 AM.

-Eric

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Congratulations on those bushy tails. Here in PA there are a lot of them too but I can't hunt em till the middle of October.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

It could be that what your experiencing is a migration. Several years ago, here in Missouri, I went squirrel hunting with my brother-in-law. We found gobs of squirrels in almost every single tree around. My brother-in-law exslpained that they were migrating for some reason. It's the only time I ever saw anything like it and I spend a LOT of time in the woods. He's an old times woodsman and if he said they were migrating I believe him.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have heard of squirrels migrating too. Around here we get hit with gypsy moth caterpillers that eat oak leaves first then just about all the other leaves. The oaks cannot produce acorns so this may explain our migrating but not necessarily explain for another region. This year the cool weather and a bunch of rain killed the caterpillers off so I see acorns this year. probably explains the number of squirrels.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Paul, admit it. You're seeing a lot of squirrels simply because they like nuts. Posted Image Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Being the reserved, modest and oh yes humble person that I am I did refrain from claiming that I am the ultimate squirrel magnet. I just climb a tree and act like a nut. Photos to follow. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users