7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Just a tip. If you shoot an in-line muzzleloader you probably all ready have, or will end up buying, a speedloader or two. A good buy is the one made by Powerbelt. It works just like the Thompson Center speedloader ( looks the same too except dull green instead of red ) but it has two advantages. One, it's 2 dollars cheaper ($8 compared to $10 ) and two, it is made where it can be slid onto your belt, pack strap of rifle sling. Just like the T/C one, it has three tubes for three full loads of bullets and pellets ( up to 150 gr )and holds four 209 primers. It's nicer than T/C's and cheaper. Bass Pro carries both. Posted Image

#2 PlainsHunter

PlainsHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:well, hunting obviously

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

do these work with traditional patched round ball? i've been thinking of trying some out and wasn't sure.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

do these work with traditional patched round ball? i've been thinking of trying some out and wasn't sure.

They are really made for pellets, modern bullets for muzzleloaders, and 209 primers. However, I use one to carry loads for my .50 Plains Pistol too. I carry .490 (.50 cal) balls in one tube, a capper in the second tube, and loose powder in the third tube. I then have to carry patches seperate, which I carry in an empty percusion cap tin, and I carry a small powder measure. I'm afraid that an already patched ball would probably get stuck in the tube.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I used to use a yellow tube with a red cap on one end and you plug the other end with a prb. It would hold up to 80 gr of BP but anything more than that you could not get the patched ball very far into the tube. The red caps started to crack so I went to a clear tube with rubber caps that will hold up to 150 gr of powder. Being a hollow tube I can just pop the cap on the end with the powder pour that down the barrel and pop the other cap and using my short starter shove the bullet into the barrel and finish seating with the ramrod. I carry a capper attached with a length of cord and a safety pin to my shirt pocket. With a cord long enough I can just pull on the cord and grab the capper and cap the nipple with it still attached to my pocket. I haven't lost a capper since I started doing this. Before that I left three or four resting peacefully somewhere in the forest duff.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 PlainsHunter

PlainsHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

thanks guys. at the very least, having 3-4 pre-measured powder loads would help.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

I carry 3 quickloads and another load in the rifle. I have only once had to shoot more than that in a whole lot of years of hunting. I used to carry enough stuff that I needed a possibles bag to put it all in. I have enough muzzleloader accessories that they fill a large plastic tool box. I let everything but my quickloads, caps, and short starter in the box in the truck. if I need anything else I can find it at the truck. I always carry a safety pin or two and use them as nipple picks.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

I carry 3 extra loads, primers, bullets and six 50 grain pellets. I seldome have ever needed a second shot but with a muzzleloader i like to reload right away just in case a follow up shot is needed. I also carry a few patches to clean the bore between shots and a short starter. I have a nice possibles bag but I usually find myself leaving it behind. I really like to travel light and if something won't fit in a pocket it generaly gets left behind. I will be packing that .50 Plains Pistol this year though. I often have deer get up close and personal and it would be a real hoot to take one with it. Carrying an old traditional style pistol like it eases my discomfort of having switched to an inline rifle from my Hawken days. :)

#8 PlainsHunter

PlainsHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

The possibleshop.com has some speedloaders that look better suited to patched ball than what I've seen at Gander or Richard's. I'll probably give them a try. thanks guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users