• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

About a week ago I got out my crossbow with the intent of getting it sighted in. I have a 3 dot red dot sight on it. I was set up in a westerly direction and even with the sight turned all the way up those dots just faded away on the target. Today I replaced that sight with one I took off my turkey shotgun. This one is a single dot sight but the brightness goes much higher than the 3 dot. I set up at 15 yds and dialed it in. I then moved to 25 and did a final few adjustments and was getting about a 1 1/2 inch group. After that many shots I was getting a little tired so rather than mess up shots I quit for today. I want to shoot at 30 yds and also at 20 yds to see if I have to hold high or low. I also was having trouble with the rope drawing device contacting my safety and flipping it on safety before the string reached the trigger mechanism and it has to be off safe for the string to attach. I solved that problem by shortening the safety crossbolt slightly. Now the rope glides over the safety without moving it. Hey I think I am going to like this crossbow thing.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Cool bud. I need to make a few adjustments to mine too. I usually adjust it to shoot a couple inches high at 30 yards. I can consistently hit good out to 50 but have learned that your much better off keeping shots around that 30 yard mark.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

I do not plan on shooting more than 30 yds at deer either. Sure wish it had an adjustable trigger this one is a little on the stiff side.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

I went down to a local gun shop which has an archery department to pick up the arrows I ordered. The girl that runs the department is a kidder and never misses an opportunity. She brought out my arrows and commented that they were such cute little things. I agreed they were cute but really zip out there when pushed by 165 lbs. Infact they are so fast that the deer starts to bleed before I pull the trigger. I have no idea what she will cook up the next time I visit.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

Jason gave me a full size deer target/decoy. It works great with my crossbow. Stops the arrows good and not too dificult to pull out. Jason even shot some broadheads into it and it worked realy well. Anyways I got my Jennings Devastator all dialed in. It has a Simmons pistol scope on it. At thirty yards the groups are so tight that all the arrows are touching each other. It's the most accurate crossbow I ever shot, even if it is a bit old. Just wish it wasn't so dang heavy to carry. Boy am I ever raring at the bit to go hunting. Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

I am planning on punching a few holes today if the weather holds out. I need to shoot my new arrows and then shoot at 20 and 30 yds to see how it hits. Then I am ready to go.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

Cool Paul. Hope you get er done. The weather here is actually pretty nice. Mid 70's. I went and checked our trail cams today. 8 pics on one and 7 on the other. I didn't check to see what they were though. Didn't really want to mess with the cameras. Checked last week and the only pics we had were of raccoons and an armadillo Posted Image Deleted those and hopefully we'll have some deer on these this time. Will check again Tuesday when Jason comes up. What kind of arrows are you shooting?

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 August 2009 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users