No replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

I thought I'd share a story from the Little League World Series:

"....after dominating the European playoffs we came here with an expectation of winning some games, now I hope we just make it through a whole 6 inning game"
This comment was made by Coach Jerry of the Little League team from Germany whose players are the children of United States Air Force personnel stationed there. There is one player from an Army family as well. The team ended up playing their opening game against the powerful China team and lost by the 10 run rule in four innings. The 2nd game they played ended in the same fashion. Maybe the biggest factor is that the armed services team only get to play as a unit for short periods of time as parents are redeployed to other areas while players on other teams in the World series have played together for at least a couple seasons.
I happened to be on the field for pregame filming and had a chance to introduce myself and talk to Coach Jerry about the experience so far at the series. After chatting a few moments I thanked him for his service to our country then secretly asked God to give Coach an awesome memory....not necessarily victory, but something unique.
This day the German team was facing Canada and finally scored their first run of the series. They slowly lost ground and were losing 10-2 going into the bottom of fifth inning. I thought," well Coach Jerry, you got your wish of making it to the last inning"....but Jesus had something better for this occasion. The team bats suddenly came to life and the stands went wild as the Air Force kids staged the biggest single inning come from behind effort that I've ever seen at the series. They scored 10 runs to take a 2 run lead into the top of the sixth inning. There's been a few times more runs have been scored in a team's turn at the plate but not in overcoming such lopsided score. The victory wasn't to be though as the Canadian team had a female playing first base who made a memory of her own by driving in the go ahead run. An unbelievable diving catch and throw by Canada's 2nd baseman with runners in scoring postion secured a 13-12 victory for our northern neighbors( this catch made ESPN's topten plays show in the #3 spot). I'm so Thankful that God gave Coach Jerry a Blessing that he'll remember for the rest of his life and pray that His Protection will watch over this fine group of families as they return overseas to continue giving of themselves in service to others.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users