3 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Bowhunting news Nope I didn't do it so relax. Posted Image Any comments are welcome.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

Nothing really surprising there...
Unless you are like me and still marvel at just how well the Grim Reaper broadhead penetrates.
I've been impressed with these heads for years and they continue to be near the top of my short list of mechanical broadheads.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

Aftershock HyperShock

Posted Image

$30 for 3

One of the more unique designs in our test, the HyperShock features two relatively thick (.032 inch), radically curved stainless steel blades that are held in their “in-flight” position via a thick rubber O-ring, combined with a rock-solid one-piece aluminum ferrule.

Aftershock says the blades are curved to “slice instead of chop,” allowing the head to conserve kinetic energy so it can be used effectively with lower-poundage bows, and for large game with average bows. Our test couldn’t confirm or deny either of those statements, but it did reveal several very impressive attributes.

Especially cool was that our test found even faster blade deployment than claimed by the company. A check of the package shows a graphic of the blades deploying fully sometime after hide penetration, whereas we found the blades fully deployed immediately after piercing the outer layers of our test medium, positively delivering their impressive 2-inch-diameter cut.

Maybe most impressive is the head’s extreme strength/durability, as evidenced by it blowing completely through our Durock board, allowing the arrow to fly several more yards. Both ferrule and blades were left impressively unscathed while the rubber O-ring was pushed back on the arrow and could have been used again.

One gripe with this head: They require assembly (attaching the blades) before you can launch them.

The HyperShock is also available in 80 grains (11/8-inch diameter) and 125 grains (23/4 inches). —Mark Melotik

I'm happy with my choice of broadhead and I've seen the results first hand with my RedStag.... Not much of a bloodtrail, but MASSIVE internal bleeding and when I say MASSIVE I mean MASSIVE!!! I'd say within the 40yds or so he ran, about 60% of his total blood volume was forced into the cavity around his heart... Excellent cutting power, the right lung was completely destroyed, and the heart that I GLANCED was sliced all the way across the atriums (if i'm remembering right those are the 2 top chambers of the heart.) about 1/2" deep. If I had hit the heart dead center I have no doubt I would have pulled 2 peices of heart out of the chest cavity.

Semper Fi

#4 swampdogg

swampdogg

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing and being with my 2 boys

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

I've got the shockwave and the steelheads never had the chance to use the shockwaves the steelheads I used on a button buck a couple of years ago. It sounded like someone punching a side of beef when it hit. The blood trail wasn't hard to find look for the blood and the chunks of lung that were on the ground. The entry and exit wound were very nice not the biggest but nice. When I gut him I looked to see how good my hit was one lung was destroyed the other had a very good gash on it. And it took me a minute or two to figure out that the stringy goo in my right hand was the heart. I feel that the destroyed lung and the heart were instant death. The other lung I would have had to come back the next morning. I rushed the shot a little he was only standing about ten yards from the base of my tree if he had been standing out further I believe a double lung and maybe the top of the heart would have been the outcome. As it was he ran 50 or so yards through some wet laydown trees the only reason it took me 2 hours to get him my batteries ran out and had to call a friend to come help it's hard to see blood on wet trees and leaves in the dark. Live and learn I carry 2-3 flashlights now.
Eat more possum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users