Availability Of Ammo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

Is everyone experiencing an ammo shortage at your local dealers?

After the price of the ammo I had been using in my .30-06 had doubled in the last couple years, I decided it was time to go back to something cheaper. So, I decided to go back to Federal 180 Grain Soft Point cartridges. Those are the bullets I started with in my .30-06 and were probably the most consistent I've used. And at a usual price of about $17, they are $13 cheaper than the 180 Nosler Partitions I've been using.

I've looked everywhere...Fleet Farm (an upper midwest "farm" type store), Gander Mountain, Cabela's, BPS, Midway USA, Natchez and a few other places and for the last couple months I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Everywhere I look says they are on back order. Even other cheapers rounds by other manufactures are on back order.

Is anyone else having a problem finding their ammo in stores? I've never seen anything like this, local and/or catalog stores, no one has any ammo.

For what it's worth, somehow Walmart had three boxes of my 180G SP's behind their glass case for $13.97, so I bought all three. All they had left for cartridges were two boxes of .30-06 150 SP's and that is it.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Here in central PA ammo has been spotty. What was on the shelves was very pricy, most likely the reason that ammo was still available. I looked for my usual cheap 22lr ammo for months till I found a brick at a not so cheap price. Reloading components became almost nonexistant for about 6 months and what I have seen lately has a hefty price tag too. Hopefully people are done stocking up and both availability and price will be closer to what we can afford.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Here too the shelves are pretty bare. We've had excellent luck with Federal ammo and the price isn't too bad but even Federal's are getting harder to find. Many calibers are getting mighty hard to find. .243's are scarce as hens teeth. I noticed that even .270's are getting hard to find. It seems that the more popular calibers seem to be priced the highest. Anyone else getting the notion that if they can't take our guns they'll take our ammo rendering the guns useless? I know that as far as Jason and I are concerned we have two of the wooden ammo boxes filled. One for shotgun shells and the other for pistol and rifle cartriges. We're even holding on to ammo for calibers we don't even have any more. Ya just never know when you might find a need for them.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Another good reason to reload. I have enough ammo for all my hunting and enough to reload for a while.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

Spotty and darned expensive in western Wi. as well. Our problem here is finding .45 ammo. Gander Mountain has it at $30 for a box, trying to find .45 bullets for reloading is impossible

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

The ammo that is available here is also very expensive. Most boxes are at least $30 or more.

On the other hand, the shelves are stocked full with shotgun shells.

#7 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

we have been telling people at cabelas to order it if they need it in most cases they will fill the customer orders before they fill the store orders

#8 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

I know this is an older post, but there was a more recent one on the same topic. I have to give my two cents and say, once again, that I am very pleased with my stumbling upon the schmit rubin k-31 that I bought a few years back. The Swiss ammo is very high quality and large quanities can be had for a reasonable price. I just ordered 120 rds for $70 today. Its basically the same as .308 from everything I've heard. The gun is amazing as well. If you are interested in a quality, inexpensive, high power rifle, try and find one of these things. Then order a few thousand rounds to last the rest of your life. The brass can't be reloaded, but there are some option out there that sound more complicated than they're worth to me.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users